T5s versus Shearer IFSB

Toomanytoys

New to the site been riding for ever......

Got an 03 Banshee w/Unknown port job Fresh .030 Wiesco Pro-lites Cool Head w/stock domes.K&N Airfilter Stock Carbs jetted TORS eliminator.V3 Reeds Basically minor bolt-ons

I have a set of T5s on it now and it runs well.I also have a set of Shearer in frame small bore pipes

Next mod is advance timing 4deg

I do alot of hillclimbing so thats basically what Im setting it up for

What say the HQ? T5s or the Shearer

New to the site been riding for ever......

Got an 03 Banshee w/Unknown port job Fresh .030 Wiesco Pro-lites Cool Head w/stock domes.K&N Airfilter Stock Carbs jetted TORS eliminator.V3 Reeds Basically minor bolt-ons

I have a set of T5s on it now and it runs well.I also have a set of Shearer in frame small bore pipes

Next mod is advance timing 4deg

I do alot of hillclimbing so thats basically what Im setting it up for

What say the HQ? T5s or the Shearer

Since you already have the Shearers,why don't you put them on,re-jet if needed, and tell us what you find out?

When i went from T-5's to Shearers,i noticed more over-rev.

when u talk hillclimb,do u mean in the dunes or in the woods.in the woods i would say hell to the no on shearers.from what i gather they lack bottom,but they are a inframe drag pipe,so thats not what they are built for.dunes,give em a try,but if ur woods,the t5s will be the choice.actually,pcs would be the woods choice.i still cheese over my dmcs tho :headbang:

I live up in Northeast Pa or as I like to call it "Coal Country".Planning a Pass for Treverton as Im about an hour and half away.90% wide open short takeoff coal hillclimbs

I can trailride it the way it is the other 10% w/the T5s was just curious if the swap to the Shearer's would be worth it

Thanks

I live up in Northeast Pa or as I like to call it "Coal Country".Planning a Pass for Treverton as Im about an hour and half away.90% wide open short takeoff coal hillclimbs

I can trailride it the way it is the other 10% w/the T5s was just curious if the swap to the Shearer's would be worth it

Thanks

Dont think the Shearers will really do you any good with your motor. And from what I've read, the T-5 isnt really the best pipe for low end grunt. I've never ran either of those pipes but I was looking into T-6's which supposedly give you more of all around power. Most of the guys riding the hills with shearers are running big stroker motors and such. However you will never know until you try!

Keep the Toomeys on until you start getting into some porting/motor work, where the shearers will shine. A pipe decision is based on three factors. Riding style, how you want the bike to perform, and mods. Just like everyone else said, the shearers will have no low end power at all.

Zillafreak: Got an opinion on what size domes.Also are the carbs going to be my limiting factor?

I really am shooting for reliability over max power but not happy with it stock.

Put the Shearers on today, advanced the timing 4 degrees.

No real chance to ride it.

My carbs are jetted with what came in the Toomey T5 kit.Is it fair to say I will need to change the jet size?Dont really recall what came with the T5s

If so does anyone have a recommendation on where I should start w/the jetting?

Topend of the motor is very fresh,maybe 20 hours.I dont want to blow the motor up so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

whatever the main jet is thats in it bump it up 20 that is if its a 290 go to a 310 try 310-340 on your mains also might try and gear up a tad the shears may like a lil more load on the motor.

give them an honest day of riding and JET the carbs in right before you say you dont like them. its always nice to have the pipes just there to play with.

you said stock domes, what size is stock? i would say try 21-22cc, but have them cut to give better burn control.

call up brandon at wildcard racing, he will help you out.

and yes carbs can be limiting you.

When I bought the cool head I was only trying to keep the motor cooler.Added a billet propeller,inline ribbed adaptor thing, and engine ice.

Was told they were stock domes.Not really adding any compression.

I also have a 421 stroker but detonated the driverside piston.The motor will be down for awhile as I wanna go through it,install it then sell the motor Im currently running.But in the meantime I just wanna ride the smaller motor.

Again Thanks for the help

i have the t5s on mine as well.Since it looks like we do similar riding as we have the slag pits around here as well.Youll love the t5s for hill climbing.Mine has some trail porting and shaved head with stock carbs and the timing advanced maybe 4 degrees.It rips the hills.Im also 215lbs or so.The t5s dont have the low end of my fmfs but the mid and up makes up for it.Im at 280 right now for my main with jetting.if i ride it when it gets colder may go to a 290 or so but its good right now at 55/60

• 1 month later...