Rebuild needed, where to start

03yamahar1

hi, im new to the forums and im currently working on my first banshee project. i picked up this 89 completely stock shee for 400$. when i bought it i was informed that the right side was not running. so once i started getting into the troubleshooting we first tested for spark and cleaned the carbs. still was not running on the right side. i took a compression check and got 95 on the left (good side) and 60 on the right. after pulling the head off i noticed that the piston was not to bad and the sleeve wasnt messed up. after then pulling the jugs i noticed that the bottom half of the right piston was completly broken off. so my question is where do i start on a rebuild? what would you guys suggest doing. im open to all offers. not looking to spend more than $2,000 on the motor. thanks for any help

Hit up a site sponsor. Lots of good ones in here I like Brandon and Shay over to wild ard they do great service! You'll probably want to either send your whole motor to someone or if you can get the pieces out of the bottom you might be able to just do a top end rebuild.

a full tear down and rebuild of your engine plus shipping it out will be a pretty penny......you can take it apart yourself depending on your ability and go through it, but that piece of piston skirt went somewhere.........or you can find a used engine for about a g.....look in for sale.....and drop that in to get you going! I have one for sale for $875 listed in for sale....may just be the cheaper way to go then a business and labor charges although i recommend any of the site sponsors they all do great work...

thanks for the info. id like to try to take this one on myself since i bought it knowing it would need some work. a buddy of mine suggested that i pull the motor and turn it upside down, hose it down with some brake cleaner and some compressed air to try to get the pieces out of the bottom half. what do you guys think about this? or do yous have any better suggestions to try to get whats left of the skirt out.

Wow sparky, thanks for the vids. They look like They will be a huge help. What would you guys suggest doing on the rebuild parts wise? Should i go closest to stock as I can or any upgrades I should do while I have it apart?

If I woke up in your shoes, I would get a new 4mill crank, bore and port the cylinders, and just get new bearings, gaskets, pistons, and replace anything that got damaged in the de-skirting. Use a forum shop like Herr juggs or fast, etc. They are all awesome. Make sure you get the jetting right after it's back together, as it's possible thats why it blew up in the first place. Herr juggs is running a $669 special on the parts, plus porting and bore and you will be around a grand give or take a bit. If budget allows a cool head would be nice as well. I don't know what exhaust you have, but if you budget is 2k, find a clean set of used pipes here for about half the price of new (people are always upgrading here). good luck and keep us posted.

Wow sparky, thanks for the vids. They look like They will be a huge help. What would you guys suggest doing on the rebuild parts wise? Should i go closest to stock as I can or any upgrades I should do while I have it apart?

No prob man

If I woke up in your shoes, I would get a new 4mill crank, bore and port the cylinders, and just get new bearings, gaskets, pistons, and replace anything that got damaged in the de-skirting. Use a forum shop like Herr juggs or fast, etc. They are all awesome. Make sure you get the jetting right after it's back together, as it's possible thats why it blew up in the first place. Herr juggs is running a $669 special on the parts, plus porting and bore and you will be around a grand give or take a bit. If budget allows a cool head would be nice as well. I don't know what exhaust you have, but if you budget is 2k, find a clean set of used pipes here for about half the price of new (people are always upgrading here). good luck and keep us posted.

^^^ I like his thinking... However if you never plan on running race fuel i would just get the head cut (allows room for the stroker you have to cut the head or get a spacer plate) and shaved (takes .0030 off the bottom of the head to increase compression and you will need to run 93-94 oct fuel) also its less then 1/2 the price of a cool head. Send out the head with the cylinders and order a 4mm stroker kit with it. When you have the bottom end apart figure out which bearings need replacing and order those and replace ALL seals. I included what i replaced in my vids. If you do what I did in my vid plus the port work (which i didnt do) itll run around $1350.00. I HIGHLY recommend if you have stock suspension to use the rest of that money on SS brake lines and some +2+1 a-arms and aftermarket shocks... Its a really bad idea to slap on all that power and not have a stable quad IMO. Oh, I didnt post my vids here of the shift star mod and the timing plate mod. They are on my youtube page. Also you may want to consider a new idler bearing and a pancake bearing while its apart.

Thanks for all the help guys. And my next step is I'm going to go up to my local motor shop and check with them on some parts and ideas. I'll keep you's posted on what happens next.

we've seen this before.....MAKE SURE THEY KNOW 2STROKES....if they are a normal 4stroke shop...STAY THE HELL AWAY. Some shops around think they know what they are doing.....but this is why we have sponsors...because they KNOW what they are doing.