Backfiring/sputtering

sp1tekiller

Not really sure how to describe the problem, but I'll start with a bit of back-story. The bike is a 2002, top end was rebuilt along with new reeds and air filter. This rebuild took place last winter, the bike has sat since then due to a lot of life's little problems.

I fired it up earlier this spring and found it to be a bear to start. Once running, it was giving off light backfires, almost like one of the cylinders would cut out for a second and then kick back in with a little "pop", the strength of the noise seemed to be louder depending on how long the cylinder cut out for. I didn't have time to do much about it then, so it sat again until today.

Once again, it was tough to get it going, but eventually it started up and seemed to run well until it started its little routine again. I pulled the plugs, they seemed to be a little wet, maybe a little dark. Leads me to believe that it's probably a rich situation? I also noticed that it seems to be a little more problematic on the left cylinder, not sure if that means anything. Both plugs looked nearly identical.

Is it likely just a simple jetting issue? I'm not good with carbs, lol.

It's missing those joint clamps or whatever they're called that go where the silencers join onto the pipes, I know that much. What's the best way to check for leaks?

if you are talking about the rubber exhaust clamps that go from the head pipe to the stingers, then, yeah you need those. that would be you exhaust leak, rectify the exhaust leaks. also, put fresh gas in it and clean the carbs, its been sitting for a year.

They seem to be pretty synced now, but the right side is just a tiny bit higher. They move simultaneously, though. Any thoughts anyone?

Yes get a carb sync tool.f.a.s.t sells them.they show vaccuum being pulled into carb and are numbered.u can sync to perfection.if ur that close tho,unless ur eyes are terrible it shouldnt be sputtering.sounds like jetting.what is ur jetting?