shee just stopped runnin

sandshred25

01, dune port and polish, sleeved at stock bore, k&n filters, v force reeds, milled stock carbs, welded crank, toomey t-5's, 330 main 27.5 pilot,,

So here's my story.. Went to Coos Bay Oregon last week.(which by the way is awesome) Before leaving town i did my normal routine, cleaned carbs, changed the oil, washed her, etc.. One thing i did do different was, when i had the carbs off i filed down the post that the idle adjust screws into. the guy that put the bike together had the screw wire tied so it wouldnt back out, i dont think he could get the stopper nut on and didnt know to shave down the post. i set the idle air screw back to where it was 1 1\2 turns out..Before leaving town she was harder than usual to start, but once she did , she idled and ran fine..

Once i got to Oregon, she was still hard to start, but once fired she ran great and started easy..So after three days of riding, she was runnin like a top.. i got up early to go for a ride.. Again a little hard to start, but running great. I was riding on the beach and heard a rattle. i stopped to check it out,, i had a broken muffler spring.. i was able to rig it up,, and away i went.. The tide had gone out , and the sand was perfectly smooth.. This gave me a chance to get on the pipe, and she ran great..

Here's where thing got wierd.. i had her opened upin fourth gear and all of a sudden it was like someone just turned the bike off..So on the beach i checked what could,, she was getting fuel, and both plugs had spark..

So my uncle came out in the rhino to tow me back,, we tried a pull start, and she fired back up.. She was runnin like normal, so i was gonna try to haul ass back to camp.. i was going through a pretty rough whoop section and the bike lost all power,, was still running , but no power.. So i got towed in..

Back at camp i pulled off the carbs to clean them,, and checked out the reeds,, everything seemed to be in order..

So i buttoned her up to give it a whirl.. I couldnt kick start her, but she fired with a pull start.. it took quite a ways of towing,, she would spit and sputter and then fire up but she wouldnt idle..So we headed out to the dunes.. She was running good again for about a half hour,, then she died.. After another tow start i was just gonna try to jam back to camp.. On the way she started backfiring and losing power. To the point i couldnt get out of 2nd gear..I just turned her off and got yet once again another tow back to camp..(i just make the best of a tow, and enjoy the sites)

We just got back last night so i havent tried anything yet...As always thanks for all the great help on this site,,

• 4 weeks later...

so i pulled the heads off today . the right side piston had actualy broken the lower portion that faces the rear end (skirt i think).. any ways looks like i now have to split the cases to clean out the debris.. is there anything that would cause the piston to break?? also i was running 17cc domes,, if that matters..

excessive side to side play in the piston (natural wear on bore size) making it too big will cause the piston skirt to break......along with running 17cc domes....i hope you were running race fuel in that....

yup....your right about having to split the cases and pull out all the debris....along with having to do a topend rebuild. looks like you just makde yourself a good winter time project :headbang:

excessive side to side play in the piston (natural wear on bore size) making it too big will cause the piston skirt to break......along with running 17cc domes....i hope you were running race fuel in that....

yup....your right about having to split the cases and pull out all the debris....along with having to do a topend rebuild. looks like you just makde yourself a good winter time project :headbang:

ya,, i always ran race fuel,,, but im itchin to ride,, hopin to have motor out and cases split today, hopefuly have her buttoned up before the weather turns to poo.. plus i already have one shee to bare frame for my "winter project" lol, ... classic ol 2 bikes that arent running,, story of my life...

thanks for all the great help guys..

come to think of it,, the last three trips to the dunes i was running a 50\50 blend of race fuel \ premium pump... i didnt know what domes shee had. before that i always ran straight 110 at 40:1.. would the change of fuel contribute to the broken piston.??? also, will i have to take the crank apart to clean it out?? or can i clean her out in the parts washer??

is it possible u got metal shavings from filing ur carb body in there?if so that will toast a top end.

im sure i cleaned the heck out of the carbs after filing down the carb bodies,, i used a whole can of carb cleaner per carb...but im def up for ideas..and volcrano,, anything is possible brotha,, thanks for the post..

look at your piston domes....are they starting to look slightly pitted? if so then that was the detonation from not enough octane. also were they cast or forged pistons? always let the bike warm up alot before you ride it? alot of people have skirts break off because they either have been re-ringing their motor alot (and not checking the cylinder bore for being egg shaped) or trying to make too much power for a 110 rod.

17cc domes are pretty freaking small man......that alone will cause issues if your not super careful with how you run it....