Boost bottle?

Boost bottles provide a performance boost from idle or just off throttle to mid throttle on 2 stroke engines that don't use reed valves , my bro back in the late 80's and 90's designed and build and made a lot of money making them . The pocket bike rage used these engines that didn't have reed valves , just port timing and port position in the cylinder . This set up would cause air and fuel to always be forced back through the carburetor , causing a overrich ( subsequent bogging ) on the next on throttle position . Essentially the problem was cause on cornering so you have a powerloss getting back onto the throttle . The boost bottle gave that excess air and fuel a place to go instead of back through the carb and that aggitated atomized mixture is drawn from 1st from the boost bottle , it acts like a lung , the engine breathes first from it , then turns to the carb to keep feeding it fuel . The reed valves basically take the place of the bottle by trapping the excess air/fuel mixture in the crank case .

Boost bottles provide a performance boost from idle or just off throttle to mid throttle on 2 stroke engines that don't use reed valves , my bro back in the late 80's and 90's designed and build and made a lot of money making them . The pocket bike rage used these engines that didn't have reed valves , just port timing and port position in the cylinder . This set up would cause air and fuel to always be forced back through the carburetor , causing a overrich ( subsequent bogging ) on the next on throttle position . Essentially the problem was cause on cornering so you have a powerloss getting back onto the throttle . The boost bottle gave that excess air and fuel a place to go instead of back through the carb and that aggitated atomized mixture is drawn from 1st from the boost bottle , it acts like a lung , the engine breathes first from it , then turns to the carb to keep feeding it fuel . The reed valves basically take the place of the bottle by trapping the excess air/fuel mixture in the crank case .

not really. maybey about half that....... YAMAHA researchers developed the "boost bottle", which was really just an intake resonator for single cylinder engines, both 2 and 4 stroke to dampen the pulses, and absorb back-spitting through the carb venturri for more precise tuning. in all reality it works to do just that, but boosts nothing. now, on a twin.......... well, YAMAHA resolved this bu re-directing the back-spit to the other intake, which would be just beginning, or amidst intake cycle, depending on the rpm and the time delay to reach the other cylinder. adding the resonating chamber in the middle of it did nothing but hinder this effect, and create an additional delay, where you will only see the pulse work correctly at lower rpm's, and with less pressure. plain and simply, no worky. besides, none have been manufactured with the proper spacing for stock intakes, so they tend to rip them wide open and melt the piston(s)... nuff said

To be 100% clear , I know they do nothing for a reed valve engine . They are a waste and are more likely to cause a air leak than anything else . As far as the 2 strokes in the pocket bikes we rode they did a great deal , night and day difference on acceleration through corners .......

To be 100% clear , I know they do nothing for a reed valve engine . They are a waste and are more likely to cause a air leak than anything else . As far as the 2 strokes in the pocket bikes we rode they did a great deal , night and day difference on acceleration through corners .......

to be more then 100% clear i think they are junk, a plastic straw would do just as much

you must have cataracts.... they do something to any pulsed intake. that's like saying a muffler only works on v8's

you must have cataracts.... they do something to any pulsed intake. that's like saying a muffler only works on v8's

Like I said previous , they ( boost bottles ) do very little or nothing at all for reed valve motors , as the reeds prevent the pulses from pushing back through the carb/s.

Like I said previous , they ( boost bottles ) do very little or nothing at all for reed valve motors , as the reeds prevent the pulses from pushing back through the carb/s.

no, reeds do not prevent it........ go take the airbox off a large 2-stroke, like in a sno-go and watch the fuel spray.... with perfectly functioning reeds