Fox Floats

Bones30

Anybody running fox float front suspension? What are your reviews? Getting really close to ordering front suspension. Found some for sale and they seem decent but I don't know how they would compare to an elka, definitely lighter and I heard more adjustable but overall am I better off going with elka's?? Thanks for any help.

i have nothing to compare with besides stockers. i think the floats are awesome, i like to ride fast over any surface and they soak it up so well. i had one of mine fail tho, like one faded. the air side has never been a problem and never leaked.

i called up about my shock, and i have to get it serviced. it only fails going fast over bumpy rough ground. they said they have never seen that problem before. its been around a year and i still havent serviced it, i really should.

i still like them.

I have them and love them. The first time I had them was at the dunes and they were amazing. I have not had a problem with them "fading" so that might be one of those rare occurences. As for dialing them in, I think its pretty easy actually. The pump makes adjusting them as simple as can be. I would definitely recommend them.

I love em! I run them on my YFZ450R and they are the tits. If you decide against the floats, go with Elka or Axis. I've ran Ohlins, Elka, Pep and Works on my banshees and the Elkas were deffinately the best.

Walsh Long travel arms with Fox Float Evol gen 2 fronts with Fox podium rear with long travel GT Thunder link. 100% better than stock and as you all know the new YFZ450R bikes come from the factory with badass suspension.

2010upgrades003.jpg

2010upgrades002.jpg

2010upgrades001.jpg

I ran the YFZ450 stock shocks, and then put the floats on

That's like going from a VW Beetle to a Ferrari. LOL.

Floats are excellent for a recreational bike. The main benefit to them is their adjustability; transversely, it is also their biggest flaw.

If you do a lot of different types of riding, the floats are an excellent option. If you do one main type of riding, get a traditional coilover.

The Float's air spring has a tendency to change spring rates with temperature changes. Since you use regular air, there is a significant amount of moisture in the air which expands and contracts with temperature changes. I've seen as much as 1.6kg/mm in springrate change, just by dynoing the shock in the morning, vs the heat of the afternoon.

In conclusion, floats are excellent shocks with tons of potential. If you like playing with your setup, get em. If you want a solid, perfect setup that won't change, go with Axis or Elka. My preference is Axis.

on a side note in a drag setup floats are light and work excellent. just std floats not evol or bla bla bla just the 600 buck ones..

i assume this is on a banshee? how much air did you run, and do you oreder a different size, i dont know that you have to with the fox just asking, ive been thinking about trying these myself, 80% drag 20% dune bike. thanks for any input.

i assume this is on a banshee? how much air did you run, and do you oreder a different size, i dont know that you have to with the fox just asking, ive been thinking about trying these myself, 80% drag 20% dune bike. thanks for any input.

I'd look into a set of marvin shaws. It would be cheaper for ya and accomplish the same thing. You'd have to figure out what length of shock you wanted to run first, then call fox and see what they have thats close to that length. Honestly I don't see a benifit buying floats for a drag setup over the shaws. Get the hill shooters and you'd be set for what your trying to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running Floats for about a year now, and I'm very happy with them. I ride about 80% trails/20% motocross, and I really like the ability to increase stiffness on the fly. Like Matt mentioned, I have noticed a difference in springrate going from cool morning to hot afternoon temperatures (or vice-versa), but it's an easy fix (add or remove air as needed).

I haven't run any aftermarket coilover shocks, so I can't really compare, though when I was researching which shocks to buy I couldn't find any other manufacturers that offered this much adjustability at that price point.