GOT A QUESTION

i want to change my pistons , because i want to change them does that mean i HAVE to bore my cylinders for bigger pistons

can i just take off my cylinders, buy OEM pistons, hone my cylinders and install the new stock pistons ??

just curious

Why stock pistons??? They are cast, which means they shatter if the piston to wall clearance is to great.

So if you measure the clearances first and there good you should be fine.

On the other hand forged pistons will also break but not in such small pieces so it probably wont hurt your crank bearings and itll be a easier clean up, if they do break.

Why stock pistons??? They are cast, which means they shatter if the piston to wall clearance is to great.

So if you measure the clearances first and there good you should be fine.

On the other hand forged pistons will also break but not in such small pieces so it probably wont hurt your crank bearings and itll be a easier clean up, if they do break.

so what is too great considering you need a little bit of room for the piston rings but one of my pistons broke at the bottom

thats why im changing them too, i had low compression TITANIUM033.jpg

You should probably split that bitch open and have a look. that metal went somewhere.

edit: also piston skirts breaking is a sign of too much piston to wall clearance. something that cast (oem stock) pistons are very picky about. it needs a bore job.

now ill wait for all the leg humpers to come in here and say to run wiseco pistons because they dont break. :shootself::rotflmao:

easy on the yelling...we can hear you fine....haha. either way....like said above....you should bore them. or else they WILL break twice. the reason you had low compression was because you need a rebuild on your top end (more than likely) and also there is a damn good chance that your piston broke off its skirt because it was a worn out cylinder bore which caused to piston to have excessive play.....causing the break. Either way you should split that case (unless you find ALL pieces and can puzzle the piston skirt together to ensure that)

basics....you WILL NEED to bore that cylinder out....

if you send it to our sponsors they will take care of you (usually for around $45 a side) and they can hook you up with all the parts such as pistons and gaskets that you will need.

If your not sure what to do your best bet is to take the motor to a shop. They will mic the insides and see what you need for pistons if you have scoring. They will hone it up and get your ring end gap right. That way if it blows up you can blame them.

lmao nice @ the last reply

thanks everyone for the reply and help

i understand i have to bore my cylinders and i wasted money on new stock pistons #owell

ill just sell them but im going to jus send my cylinders in for boring and honing thanks all

They may look Ok but that doesn't mean the piston to cylinder wall clearance isnt still too much.

you are right when i measured each cylinder one read 65mm and the other reads 64.9mm close to 65 thats too much for stock pistons correct ?