98 Banshee.. Need advice on what is going on here. Idle/Exhaust?

1998 Banshee starts right up first or second kick... She wont idle until I'm riding for about 5 minutes an when i stop it will some-what putt/idle for about 3 seconds then shuts off, but will fire right back up with one kick... I have also noticed that when im looking at her from behind smoke comes out of my right silencer and not my left.. I put my hand up the the left one an only feel little air coming out of it.. Just put new plugs in it, its jetted and its running on 25 to 1 gas ratio.. Any suggestions?

Did u just buy this banshee? Have u tried to adjust the idle screw? Maybe u might have to move one size up on the pilot jet. As far as the smoke coming out of one pipe and not the other, did u try swaping the plugs wires and see if the other side smokes?

Yea i just bought it.. And that was the first thing i was going to do tonight was the idle screws.. and no i haven't tried switching plug wires but i will try all these things tonight and will let ya kno what happened when im finished

Well got my new axel on last night and filled her up with gas started by twisting the idle screws all the way in fired it up went half turns out ended up 2 1/2 turns out and it was making no difference what so ever? Im clueless, tonight im switching plug wires to see what happens... Any suggestions about the Idle problem?

Well got my new axel on last night and filled her up with gas started by twisting the idle screws all the way in fired it up went half turns out ended up 2 1/2 turns out and it was making no difference what so ever? Im clueless, tonight im switching plug wires to see what happens... Any suggestions about the Idle problem?

The first thing I would do if I bought a banshee is a compression test to see where the life of your cylinders are at. The next thing I would do is a leak down test cause an air leak can cause havoc on your performance even your idle . You should also take apart your carbs and give them a good cleaning . Your pilot jet is responsible for your idle , I would bet there might be something stuck in there.

Hey i had this happen to my banshee as well. What i found out was the float sticking and wouldnt give gas to the left cylinder and so i bought a rebuld kit and did that. both cylinders fired right up. kinda weird to check that but i tryed everything that u did. Just an idea.

wrong screws if your trying to adjust your idle. The screws that you are turning are the pilot air screw......which changes the mixture on the low end of things. IF you have the TORS units still on your carbs.......the idle adjust will be on the very top of those......the slotted turn knobs on the top adjust the idle....turn right to increase and left to decrease.

if you do not have the TORS units on your carb tops then look at your carbs.....on the outbound sides you SHOULD see a brass looking slotted screw with a jam nut.

if you have these.....this is how you adjust your idle.....first make sure your carbs are sync'd......then loosen the jam nuts so you can spin the screws by hand. then start your bike and hold the throttle at a constant speed of what you would like your idle to be. then with your opposite hand reach down and tighten your idle screws in until they JUST touch the carb slide.....shut off the bike and then retighten the jam nut.