NewB ?'s

A couple questions I cant seem to find strait up answers for in the search box....When rebuilding my top end and someone refers to Sqish gap, what exactly is that in refrence too? I also wondered if some of you guys that have been around a bit can explain the way the numbers on the jets work. Kevin told me to start @ 158 50, ok so should i order 1 or 2 up and down to be safe. As the nubers on the jets go up do they get richer or leaner, I mean I have a 155 50 now and wondered how close that really is? I hope these arent stupid questions but I figure better ask than to jump head first into problems with the top end build.

A couple questions I cant seem to find strait up answers for in the search box....When rebuilding my top end and someone refers to Sqish gap, what exactly is that in refrence too? I also wondered if some of you guys that have been around a bit can explain the way the numbers on the jets work. Kevin told me to start @ 158 50, ok so should i order 1 or 2 up and down to be safe. As the nubers on the jets go up do they get richer or leaner, I mean I have a 155 50 now and wondered how close that really is? I hope these arent stupid questions but I figure better ask than to jump head first into problems with the top end build.

yes if you get a 158 its gonna be richer it depends on your mods but i would start rich then work my way down its always better to be slightly rich then slightly lean remember spark plugs are cheaper than pistons.......

okay.....squish isnt that hard to understand. Look at a banshee head if you have one....or can find a picture of one. Where the piston cut outs of the head are.....see how there appears to be a ring that is recessed a little bit and closer to the spark plug hole it suddenly shapes into a dome? Well squish is the distance between the top of the piston (at its outer edges) to the edge of the ring that is carved in the head.

to check squish get yourself a piece of wire solder......then pull a spark plug and bend the solder so that it will reach into the spark plug and all the way over to the edge of the cylinder. make sure that the solder is facing to the side (ie 90* to the intakes or exhaust) then rotate the motor over. it will smash the solder flat.....measure (with a micrometer) that distance with different pieces of solder (for both sides of each piston) and that will give you your squish measurement