One on One with HJR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kodie that was yours. Did you get it running?

Yea it fired right up in a few kicks. Break in went good and it was running hard. But now I need to do a little carb tuning, the left side doesn't sound right. The left pipe is blowing a lot of smoke out and the left plug is wet and the right plug is dry and a good color. I am at 160 mains and 52 pilots for right now I didn't have any 50's laying around to start out with. Clip in 3rd position air screw 1 1/2 turns out. When it starts to load up in rpm's and gets ready to hit the power. It starts to bog down and for some reason I don't know if it is me just being paranoid but it sounds like the left side is a lot louder than the right side when I let the engine wind down on its own. Any ideas?

Yea it fired right up in a few kicks. Break in went good and it was running hard. But now I need to do a little carb tuning, the left side doesn't sound right. The left pipe is blowing a lot of smoke out and the left plug is wet and the right plug is dry and a good color. I am at 160 mains and 52 pilots for right now I didn't have any 50's laying around to start out with. Clip in 3rd position air screw 1 1/2 turns out. When it starts to load up in rpm's and gets ready to hit the power. It starts to bog down and for some reason I don't know if it is me just being paranoid but it sounds like the left side is a lot louder than the right side when I let the engine wind down on its own. Any ideas?

have ruled out any possible airleak?

If there are no air leaks and the compression is fairly close between the 2 cylinders,you can rule out any engine problems

If your running the keihn or OKO,just swap the carbs and try running it.If the plug results are the same,then swap the spark plug leads.If the results are still the same,then all that left is an inspection of your reed cage.If the reeds look good,then its time to move to the Stator and pick up coil.Check both flywheel pickup gaps,if those look ok,You probably have a problem with the Stator.

There shouldn't be an air leak kevin put the motor together and did a leak down test and said everything was good to go. I'll try switching carbs. The last banshee I had was using a 2 into 1 carb on it. With dual carbs can you change one carbs jetting or do they both have to be the same? And they are the 30 mm oko's.

There shouldn't be an air leak kevin put the motor together and did a leak down test and said everything was good to go. I'll try switching carbs. The last banshee I had was using a 2 into 1 carb on it. With dual carbs can you change one carbs jetting or do they both have to be the same? And they are the 30 mm oko's.

They should be the same,considering the engine is "brand new' then I would look to carbs or electrical..especially the pick up coil gap.Check both pickup points as one could be gapped wider than the other causing a misfire in the left cylinder and flooding.

take those chinese knock off shit carbs off the bike and put them back on ebay where they belong buy some real pwk's and start over. thats what i would do.

the carbs jetting should be the same. its a good posibilty the carbs are either fuel starving or they are internally messed up or the synch is way off. you should synch with an squrrel cage synch'r not by sight if you want it perfect. checking the reeds is a good idear. also if the reeds wehre off when you assembled them might check that area for possible leaks on that side also the pipe connections need to be secure and not leaking there either.