Hard to start on fresh rebuild

okay......look at your choke-side carb. If you look at the little choke plunger you can see JUST behind the knob there is a small nut.....i believe its liike a 10mm......if you upbolt it you can take the entire plunger out of the carb giving you access to the choke circuit....and the ability to clean out any stuck debris in there. IF you have a buddy with a banshee and stock carbs id suggest you ask him to barrow his choke plunger.....take his out and install on yours and see what happens....it'll only take seconds to do. They do have a problem with going bad on occasion......that's why Jeff at FAST usually carries a few used ones in his inventory...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay......look at your choke-side carb. If you look at the little choke plunger you can see JUST behind the knob there is a small nut.....i believe its liike a 10mm......if you upbolt it you can take the entire plunger out of the carb giving you access to the choke circuit....and the ability to clean out any stuck debris in there. IF you have a buddy with a banshee and stock carbs id suggest you ask him to barrow his choke plunger.....take his out and install on yours and see what happens....it'll only take seconds to do. They do have a problem with going bad on occasion......that's why Jeff at FAST usually carries a few used ones in his inventory...

I already pulled mine off to clean it out, but i do have an extra set of parts carbs, maybee i can try the choke off those. what part of the choke plunger goes bad?

Have you actually soaked the carbs in carb cleaner like Berrymans? Then blow air thru ALL passages making sure it come out somewhere else? Paying close attention (now) to the choke circut? Same with the bowls. Not much on choke plunger except an O-ring. All I know about bowls is the one with "BB" goes on left carb. :cheers:

Ok, before you start reading my post i am not trying to be a dick or anything like that just trying help and elinminate some possiblities, just creating a little check list. I am assuming these are the carbs that came off the motor you just redid. If so did the other motor run with these carbs cause if thats the case i don't see the carbs being the problem i see it being somewhere else. Since you have double checked if not triple checked everything on the carbs and if the carbs be the problem i'm guessing the carbs are just junk and you need some new ones. i did not notice if you posted a sucsessful leakdown test and what the compresion is for both sides. i did notice you said it had alot more compresion now than before and i was thinkin maybe you have one good compresion cylinder and maybe the other one not so good maybe a missing a ring or something like that. Has the cylinders been bored maybe the wrong piston size i have seen that before cause a problem like this. real hard to start if it even started at all and soon as the right pistons went in it ran like a dream. i've been in situations like this before with my banshee they suck and just trying help another banshee guy out. Maybe if you got a buddy you could borrow there carbs for a quick test to see if its a carb issue.

Ok, before you start reading my post i am not trying to be a dick or anything like that just trying help and elinminate some possiblities, just creating a little check list. I am assuming these are the carbs that came off the motor you just redid. If so did the other motor run with these carbs cause if thats the case i don't see the carbs being the problem i see it being somewhere else. Since you have double checked if not triple checked everything on the carbs and if the carbs be the problem i'm guessing the carbs are just junk and you need some new ones. i did not notice if you posted a sucsessful leakdown test and what the compresion is for both sides. i did notice you said it had alot more compresion now than before and i was thinkin maybe you have one good compresion cylinder and maybe the other one not so good maybe a missing a ring or something like that. Has the cylinders been bored maybe the wrong piston size i have seen that before cause a problem like this. real hard to start if it even started at all and soon as the right pistons went in it ran like a dream. i've been in situations like this before with my banshee they suck and just trying help another banshee guy out. Maybe if you got a buddy you could borrow there carbs for a quick test to see if its a carb issue.

The guy who said the 1-1 bowl belongs on the choke side was wrong, i switched my bowls and it fires up first kick cold and hauls some serious ass, thank you everyone for your help :headbang:

The bowls are interchangeable between carbs as far as fit, but the choke will only work if they are on the correct carb. You said they were on the correct carb once, but are you sure? Some bowls are labeled 1-1 and 1-2 inside of them. 1-1 goes on the carb w/choke lever. Another way to test this is see if you can spray carb cleaner down the little hole the choke rod goes down and see if it shoots out back at you(may want to wear goggles for this Lol) or out another hole in the bowl. You either have the bowls on the wrong carb, or the passage is plugged not allowing your choke to work.

awwwwwww snap... banghead