A little help please

Hey guys like the title says at full throttle it will start cutting out, then cuts out thereafter in all throttle ranges. It's done it ever since I have had it.

I have a 2 into one carb and have changed the main jet both up and down from where it was, with changing it down seeming to make it worse and changing it up does not do anything.

So far, I ohm checked the stator, the charging coil was 10.0 ohms where the spec was 13.7 ohms, everything else was within range. I measured the gap of the pickup coil to be about .018 inches also.

I also replaced the coil and spark plug caps with another set of each that I had laying around.

Other than that, I'm stuck. Thanks in advance.

how about listing your mods and jetting rite now,you need to pressure test that thing and compression test to make sure its tight

My list of engine mods are

20cc pro design domes with cool head

fmf fatty exhaust

trinity single carb setup 36mm pwk (came with the quad)

random port job, again came with the quad and have no clue who did it, just looks like they took a chain saw to it but it does rip pretty good

aftermarket 200 watt stator and timing plate(again don't know what brand but it came with the quad)

vforce 3 reeds

carb is jetted at 190 main and 52.5 pilot with needle clip on the leanest position

I run 32:1 mix with klotz supertechniplate

just did a compression test and each cylinder was 155psi

as far as a leakdown test I really don't have the means to get a tester or build one myself right now as I just started a new job and won't get paid till the 25th so money is very tight.

Edited by benb5241

stator or coil is bad,you also could use a smaller pilot but you know the porting better than me,If it was doing it at wot and thats it i would say maybe jetting but i think it electrical check the harness,swap cdi with another but more likely than not its that stator i dont care if it tested good it could be bad under load

stator or coil is bad,you also could use a smaller pilot but you know the porting better than me,If it was doing it at wot and thats it i would say maybe jetting but i think it electrical check the harness,swap cdi with another but more likely than not its that stator i dont care if it tested good it could be bad under load

Yeah that was my best guess, but wanted to get others opinions, I have a buddy I can swap the cdi with and see if that does it. Ill report back with what I find, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, a little bit of an update. I was riding it trying to diagnose the problem and after I floored it for a bit it started cutting out like described, then it did it more frequently even in low throttle situations. Since then it has done it after start-up after riding for about ten seconds of throttle feathering. I got a new (to me) stock stator in the mail along with the pickup coil, installed it and same thing still. Not one change. I also changed out the air filter and no luck there either. I'm about clueless and to wits end with this. Thanks

Edit: also cleaned the petcock out good and made sure the cap vent was operating properly. It also seems like its running rich when its acting up. The plugs are dark brown/black and smell like exhaust.

Edited by benb5241

• 1 month later...