Moving the power band.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is purely a trinity claim. I ran two 30mm oko carbs on a 350cc motor vs. a single 35mm pwk and the twins had every bit of crisp throttle response and pull down low. On the top end, however, the dual carbs carried the powerband and overrev so much further. Snopy has dyno comparisons exposing the 2-into-1 for what it is. The FMFs you have now will give you the powerband you desire. I'm going to throw 2 cents into the "vitos pistons" pot like the others.

I've been sayin the 2-1 carb setup is crap alot lately. Do you have a link to the dyno comparisons?

Those pistons work great if you don't have porting. But if they are ported cylinders....then you just doubled the extent of the porting. So YES. You now have a serious drag port. You'll have to go with a standard Wiseco piston. (Don't get the Vito's stock style replacement pistons, they aren't good at all.) The Vito's Super Stock pistons are a great item....but just aren't a good fit for your build. Sorry....looks like your going to be swapping some slugs. Maybe you can find someone without any porting who wants to see big HP gains on their next re-build. :shrugani:

ditch those pistons! like said to much cut on exhaust. dyna tek ignition will wake it up some as well

Sounds like OP went in the right direction. He talked to a builder, asked him what he needed and had a port job/engine set up made for his riding style and needs.

Good job sir. Others can learn this is how you do it. The engine builder should know exactly what his port work will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the cylinders/pistons are new to the rebuild. Yes, the pistons have the cut down on the exhaust side of the crown.

These pistons are not recommended if you have port work done it's says it on the add. Junk those pistons and get some wisecos

• 2 weeks later...

Our Coos Bay trip was a success!! Thumbs up to Kevin at Herr Jugs Racing for the right port job for my wife's riding style.

The Banshee ran like a top. The power band came on fast and continued to pull through all 6 gears. The 450's in our group were no match in a drag race if you got a good launch and kept the front end down. The front end was easy to pull up without the the use of the clutch. My buddies (450 riders) rode it and also gave it a thumb for the power. They had rode it on the our last trip with the old set up and were impressed with how much better it ran now with the new port job.

So to move the power band you need the right ingredients and it starts with the right porting.

Anyone have questions, just ask. Got to go to bed.