banshee backfiring

i finally got to got the shee together and started i had it running in the garage the other day it would idle fine it would rev fine but now it backfires and is hard to start i had to put gas into spark plug holes to get it to start today any ideas

Mabey not enough spark or to big of a gap.

:blink:

Could be a timing issue. Check the pick up gap and check your timing if you have an adjustable plate. Check to make sure the flywheel is mounted correctly and rotates without a wobble (bent crank). Back firing isn't a good thing, obviously, but it can damage your reed petals. Hard to start could also be timing but most likely fuel related. Too rich on the pilot, bad fuel, etc.

SP

well i took my fly wheel off it had a timing advance key in it with the hang over part towards the front of the engine and it looked like the flywheel had been moving on crank a little the key was a little loose in the key slot i think im going to put a stock key in it o and i mix my fuel at 32:1 with 93 octane and klotz super is that the right mix

Edited by bansheelover22

well i took my fly wheel off it had a timing advance key in it with the hang over part towards the front of the engine and it looked like the flywheel had been moving on crank a little the key was a little loose in the key slot i think im going to put a stock key in it o and i mix my fuel at 32:1 with 93 octane and klotz super is that the right mix

Yep, those offset keys are not so good if the flywheel isn't install correctly. If I were gonna use one I would definatetly lap my flywheel into place. I prefer the timing plate for the adjustability of the timing.

SP

• 2 weeks later...

What kinda plugs are you using. This happened to me after a rebuild when I was using standard NGK type plugs then I just put some iridium plugs in and it's all good now, more then likely it's just the plug gap tho.