Dune Motor/ newbie Question

Oregon dunner

I am new to the banshees but not to the sand sport. I mainly ride a CRF 450 that has been my dune machine. I have some questions about some motor set ups for the Oregon coast dunes. What motors are people using? My current set up is a 2000 banshee with a .30 over ported stock stroke 350 with reeds and cpi inframe pipes and +4 on the flywheel. I was impressed with the power it had. It was hanging with my biddies 4mill in his banshee. I just stuck a piston on the right side and I am looking at putting together a motor that can be competitive at playful dragging, dune riding and what they call idiot hole/tree shots witch was one of my main reasons why I got a banshee because its pretty hard to come out of a tree shot with a CRF but has been done on some of them. I was lurking around and did some searching about motors and I was very interested in the 4mill serval motor. What would be the best setup to run with this motor? My cpi pipes are fairly new and want to keep them. I have not clue what size the carbs are but was planning on getting some new ones. Is this a good motor for what I want to do or do I need something a little more? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

~Colin

Check out our site sponsors. There is a wealth of information packed in any of them. FAST supplied my parts so I could build my Serval... and he's won my business. Now, I don't personally ride in sand so it wouldn't be accurate for me to suggest an engine. But since you are considering a serval setup, I can indulge a bit on how my machine behaves.

The serval actually has plenty of torque below the powerband. At 3500-4000rpm I can pull up the front end with a +2 swingarm in first. This actually surprised me quite a bit. What else shines is how smooth the power comes on. This results in more control from the rider and more traction from the tires. With my setup, power comes on between 5500 & 6000rpm.... and there's plenty of it after. The power doesn't start to fall of until 10,500rpm (I shift just past 10K). I chose not to run a longer swingarm because I still need a decent turning radius. Under full throttle drag racing I really do have to teabag my gas tank to keep from ending up in the 12-o-clock position. If you're in the open then don't be afraid to run a +4 or +5 (or more if you are mainly a straight runner).

There are higher horsepower options, too. The cub cylinders are a hotter serval. Should you choose to trade some of that torque for top end power this is your option. But for recreational drag racing, the serval is one of the easiest of the banshee motors I've ridden to launch. The torque makes take off an almost mindless afair vs. feathering the clutch to keep in the powerband of a wilder motor.

I have a stock Cylinder 4mill that I am very happy with I use it for shooting hill shots and the occasional drag race in the Oregon dunes. If you are near that area why not contract Cameron at redline racing in sweet home he does great work and is also a site sponsor. Cameron is a great guy and would be more than willing to discuss your options and if you live in the area that is the way I would go. If you got the money the Serval seems to be the hot item at the moment makes all the right horsepower and tq in all the right areas for duning.

A ported 4mil stock cylinder or a serval are both great setups. After riding my serval and a ported 4mil stock cylinder bike, I'm a bigger fan of the serval. As stated the power delivery across the rpms makes it very friendly to ride and a great setup for all kinds of riding. If the money's there, go serval.

If you are in the area of Sweet Home, I would give Cameron at Redline a call and he will cover several options you can do for a dune banshee. I live in Cottage Grove and it was well worth the trip to have him build my banshee. I am running a 4 mil supercub, port match cases, 35mm carbs, lockout clutch, Big bore CPI's with Cascade silencers(they pass sound check). I am right around 100hp and it has amazing torque which is nice for tree shots. Another option is you have to decide whether you want to run race gas or premium. That is the setup he recommended to me and it is a great duner on the trails and it is also good at the drags, staying really reliable was the focus I had when having this build done. In the end it is up to what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up buying a 4 mill cub set up form a site member. I stuffed it in the frame last and fired her up today.

Let us know how you like the cub when you get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...