Leaky Plugs.

Fearnot

Winter is finally over so it's time to break in my passion 12 port 4 mil I ran into a problem when leak down testing the only part leaking is the spark plugs.

IMG_0391.jpg

They are brand new plugs my old ones leaked about the same also I started them at 14 ft/lbs torque and they leaked a ton then went up to 20 and they foamed a little less should I go any higher? Or are the plug holes worn out?

I lose about 1 psi exactly over 6 minutes.

dont go by that torque spec ,you must sqish the compression ring on the plug in order to seal it keep cranking till its good an tight,i put some decent pressure behind it,one hand and a 13/16 wrench

Thanks for the response went and tightened it harder to 30 ft/lbs still leaking bubbles are a lot smaller though. How much can I go to safely? I don't want to break off the plug in the head I know aluminum expands a bit when it heats up and could seal it off?

Thanks for the response went and tightened it harder to 30 ft/lbs still leaking bubbles are a lot smaller though. How much can I go to safely? I don't want to break off the plug in the head I know aluminum expands a bit when it heats up and could seal it off?

only one way to find out.... get that dood hot and test it. how does it run?

Use Anit-seize on the plug threads. :shrugani:

well there are a few things that come to mind first.....

how about trying a different spark plug.....as in another new one to see if it will seal up correctly.

or you can try using some teflon tape and just putting a small wrap of tape around the spark plugs and see if it will work.

you can also go to an automotive store and you can get yourself "indexing washers" for spark plugs.....they are washers meant to allow you to rotate your spark plugs and have them tighten up at different rotations......as directing your spark (on 4strokes) can actually improve performance. You could try that also.