Hard start

Hello everyone im pretty new to this forum but maybe someone can help me i recently bought and 04 banshee not sure of the whats all done to it but i tore the whole shee down to nothing but a bare frame i cleaned the carbs and painted the frame reassembled and now i have a hell of a time starting it and then when it does fire it screams . i have changed no settings before all of this i had a problem with it smoking really bad it seemed to idle ok and it had all kind of power but like i said it smoked real bad. also i would like to re jett the carbs i have pro circuits pipes and silencers stock everything else except the carbs had the t.o.r.s removed. also it has a k&n filter with the airbox lid removed . Any help would be awesome and greatly appericated. thanks

First of all welcome to the site, youll find an answer. Oh and buy a clymers manual for it.

Start off with the carbs. Make sure you have everything in the correct carb, theyre different, and make sure that they are truly cleaned out correctly. While youre in there, look at what size jets are presently in them. Youll have to remove the plastic clip to get to the pilots. Make sure the tube is on between the carbs, it helps to equalize the pressure supposedly.

It sounds like a couple of things it could be for the high revving, but my suspiscion is it out of gas? Dont rely on the reserve, I just told this to another guy. Its definitely leaning out, so check the airbox area, make sure the filter is cleaned out correctly, look for air leaks though. Also check the throttle cable and make sure its not hung up or somehow being stretched.

Hard starting can also be caused by low compression, so check your compression!

The smoking could be as simple as the mixture being wrong, what are you mixing it at? What colour is the smoke, does it smell like fuel being burnt, or like coolant, is it sweet smelling?

Where are you?, what type of riding are you doing?

Welcome to BHQ !! Perform checks as mentioned. were pipes already on, or did you add them? Either way you need to check your jetting. Post up what you have in it, someone will point you in right direction. When you say that once it does start it screams, are you describing a great running motor or uncontrolable runaway engine? Comepletly disassemble carbs and re-clean, this means both jets. Make sure the pilot is clean, look at it very close, it's a very small hole and a tiny piece of crud will effect it . Make sure the bowl with the "bb" goes on left carb, slide ctuaway faces air box, choke crossover tube is installed between carbs. Best way to clean carbs is a bucket of Berrmans, let them soak a good while to break down any deposites that may be in small passages. Blow out all passages. Just spraying with a little carb cleaner will NOT get the job done. Post back with your results. :cheers:

Edited by Larry's Shee

ok larrys shee i bought the quad with everything on it the pipes were on it i just filled the tank with fresh gas and klotz 40:1 mixed i took each carb apart separatly and reassemble each one right after they were cleaned i do how ever need help with checking the pilots the jets have 270 stamped in them how do i locate the pilots. but nothing was changed or switched from one carb to another and before all this the damn thing smoked bad but it had all kinds of power and compression also started on the first kick just smoked real bad stock carbs and air box lid is removed. any help would be great.

hey thanks for the welcome ok i took each carb apart then reassembled it once it was cleaned also i just topped the tank with fresh gas and klotz at a 40:1 ratio also the quad ran great before this had good power and good compression also the pipes were on it when i bought it Basically im fixing someone elses problems that are now my own . Not sure what the pilots are but the mains said 270 on them .