Which Banshee for me?

Hey guys! I have wanted a Banshee since I first saw one about 10 years ago, and now I feel that I am finally ready to dive into one head first.

First question, which year Banshee should I be looking for? There is a Banshee from every generation around me, from a first model all the way up to 2006 models. Secondly, what should I look for on said shee, as far as cracks go, or whatnot. And third, what should I be looking to pay for one? I have seen them for as low as $1500 down here in okay condition, all the way up to basically showroom prices for beauty queens. I am looking for a rider I can ride the snot out of, but in the end shines up real nicely.

I am mostly looking for one for the desert (everything from hardpack to Gordons Well and Glamis dunes) as well as something for the track, so good suspension is a must for me (considering I'm 6'1" and 220lbs or so).

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Yea its all about whats in your price range, the only difference over the years was the control arms that makes any difference the A Arm / J arm change. Try to buy one with some nice clean mods that you are looking for to save you some money! You can ride the hell out of any bike you get its just about maintenance and work you put into it. You will need to go over anything you get anyway..... look to pay around 2000 for a decent shee in good working order with maybe pipes and some small mods

Alright cool. I have been eyeing a few that I have seen listed for a while right around the $2000 price range with some aftermarket goodies. What are these things capable of "out of the box" stock, HP and speed wise? I have seen all kinds of claims from 65 to 90mph stock, and HP rating from 40's to 60's, so I'm just wanting to get the facts..

ok.... stock hp from a banshee was right around the 35 hp mark. With pipes you can get it near 40 depending on the pipe. IF it has been ported (still stock stroke) with pipes and depending on how high the compression has been raised (stock good compression was around 130) then you can push 60-65. closer to 65-70 with different carbs. if its a +4mm motor with pipes and porting (try to avoid the +4mm made with a spacer plate for under the cylinders) then your lookin at around 70hp. 70-75 with correct pipes and carbs.

as for speed......yes it IS possible to get a banshee to go 95. HOWEVER.....realistically on stock gearing your are looking at around 70-75. 95 is WAY too fast for stock gearing.....the motor can't rev that high hahaaa.

Suspensions are definately a good thing. if you can look for one with either elka or works dual rate front shocks it'll make a HUGE difference......but more $$$. its a plus if its comes with say +2 +1 a-arms.

another thing to look at is the frames.....if they've been in a really hard high speed roll it may have tweaked the frame. To make it easy to see just stand the bike up on its rear grab bar and take a step back. The frame SHOULD NOT look like it is an "S"....should be straight haha. Also if you can get the guy to take the tank plastics off then look at frame tube that goes in front the tank and holds the steering stem....they can be bent too if its rolled really hard.

The only other thing i can say is to just ask questions......twice. if you catch 2 different answers then i'd be leary. And ask the guy NOT to start it before your there....you want to see it do a "cold start". make sure to feel the pipes or jugs for warmth to see if he has started it before you got there. And take it for a ride......offer to leave something as colateral and take it for a quick zip.....youd be amazed what you can learn if you just ride a bike 30 ft.

Let us know what you decide!!!

ok.... stock hp from a banshee was right around the 35 hp mark. With pipes you can get it near 40 depending on the pipe. IF it has been ported (still stock stroke) with pipes and depending on how high the compression has been raised (stock good compression was around 130) then you can push 60-65. closer to 65-70 with different carbs. if its a +4mm motor with pipes and porting (try to avoid the +4mm made with a spacer plate for under the cylinders) then your lookin at around 70hp. 70-75 with correct pipes and carbs.

as for speed......yes it IS possible to get a banshee to go 95. HOWEVER.....realistically on stock gearing your are looking at around 70-75. 95 is WAY too fast for stock gearing.....the motor can't rev that high hahaaa.

Suspensions are definately a good thing. if you can look for one with either elka or works dual rate front shocks it'll make a HUGE difference......but more $$$. its a plus if its comes with say +2 +1 a-arms.

another thing to look at is the frames.....if they've been in a really hard high speed roll it may have tweaked the frame. To make it easy to see just stand the bike up on its rear grab bar and take a step back. The frame SHOULD NOT look like it is an "S"....should be straight haha. Also if you can get the guy to take the tank plastics off then look at frame tube that goes in front the tank and holds the steering stem....they can be bent too if its rolled really hard.

The only other thing i can say is to just ask questions......twice. if you catch 2 different answers then i'd be leary. And ask the guy NOT to start it before your there....you want to see it do a "cold start". make sure to feel the pipes or jugs for warmth to see if he has started it before you got there. And take it for a ride......offer to leave something as colateral and take it for a quick zip.....youd be amazed what you can learn if you just ride a bike 30 ft.

Let us know what you decide!!!

Alright cool.

I always ask for a cold start, first thing I do when I ask if I can come check a bike out.

Also might be a few months before I snag one up, I have been eyeing a couple that have been sitting on CL for a while. Time to start counting my pennies :rotflmao:

Alright cool.

I always ask for a cold start, first thing I do when I ask if I can come check a bike out.

Also might be a few months before I snag one up, I have been eyeing a couple that have been sitting on CL for a while. Time to start counting my pennies :rotflmao:

I am in Big Bear and am selling my wifes 94 that I bought for her new in 94. Unmolested stock banshee with the normal bolt ons. When I installed a shaved head, the cylinders still had the factory cross hatch. It is listed in the For Sale section here. Check it out and let me know what you think.