Got A Banshee, And Need Little Help

well from the looks of it and the story.....id say that your buddy didn't have it jetted correctly.. so i believe it may have been run lean and torched the rings. 2-strokes need to be jetted correctly (or even just a little rich) as they will meltdown when running lean. Also unless you have the carbs dialed in EXACTLY.....then running 2-strokes wide open is not a great idea.

i can't tell from the picture but are those little dimples starting to form in the darker colored pistons? usually they are the same color.....there is definately something goin on in there.......either something went bad on that dark cylinder or something like a head gasket popped and the coolant on that shiny piston is why its so clean.

but honestly without seeing it more then i'd GUESS that its probably only a top end issue and a simple rebuild would fix it. just make sure you do a leak down test to make sure its not going to lean itself out when you first ride it. 2-strokes are honestly super easy to wrench on.....hell sometimes i think i could teach a monkey to do it.......yea....its that easy to assemble and disassemble...

Ok, sounds like he used the biggest jets that came with it but im not sure... its a keihin carb with the stage IV 2 to 1 intake. The thing im worried about is it looks like the piston is messed up around the edge like it was hitting the head or something.. could this be a crank bearing issue or wrist pin? Im pulling the jugs off today and gonna take a closer look at the crank, so I will post more pics when I can. My fingers are crossed hoping its just the pistons and maybe wrist pin cuz im trying not to spend the money on a crank at this time. I am also not sure why the one piston is so clean besides I guess there is only a few rides on the new rebuild. When he rebuilt he did the carb and pipe so I will check the jets and make sure it was sealed up all right. and no air is getting in. I know the guy who helped him do the work and hes pretty good with motors.. hes raced dirtbikes his whole life so I would think he would take the proper steps but who knows cuz I wasnt there. Im just trying to piece the shit together so I can get this bitch screaming again.

Thanks for everyones help so far,

Jon

Edited by sx_v1s10n

Ok, sounds like he used the biggest jets that came with it but im not sure... its a keihin carb with the stage IV 2 to 1 intake. The thing im worried about is it looks like the piston is messed up around the edge like it was hitting the head or something.. could this be a crank bearing issue or wrist pin? Im pulling the jugs off today and gonna take a closer look at the crank, so I will post more pics when I can. My fingers are crossed hoping its just the pistons and maybe wrist pin cuz im trying not to spend the money on a crank at this time. I am also not sure why the one piston is so clean besides I guess there is only a few rides on the new rebuild. When he rebuilt he did the carb and pipe so I will check the jets and make sure it was sealed up all right. and no air is getting in. I know the guy who helped him do the work and hes pretty good with motors.. hes raced dirtbikes his whole life so I would think he would take the proper steps but who knows cuz I wasnt there. Im just trying to piece the shit together so I can get this bitch screaming again.

Thanks for everyones help so far,

Jon

Looking at the damage, I would be very susicious about the rod bearing on the crank on the damaged side. Get the cylinder off and see if there is play in that rod. The damage looks alot like when my crank let go. You will probably want to split the cases anyway just to make sure you get all the shrapnel out and to look EVERYTHING over and see what you have. Whatever you do, DO NOT HALFASS it together because it will just bite you later.

Pull the 10mil plugs on side of jugs so you don't get antifreeze down into crankcase. :cheers:

Will do, was curious on how to drain that.

On the other hand thats what I was afraid of.. The way he described a knocking noise makes me think that that piston was hitting or something due to the fact that crank bearing burnt out. So whats a good crank and how much am I looking at? Also curious what else I should do after I get the bitch ripped apart. I dont want to go crazy modding the thing cuz thats always led to more problems and more money.. just a few nice mods and want it running smooth and reliable as possible for a banshee.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm still leaning towards cold seizure or an airleak, check to make sure the rings on the brown side are all there.. if not I bet a chunk was floating around on top making your knocking sound before it was forced out of the exhaust, then too check your pipe for debree, and make sure you do leak down before you run it again after assembled

Ok so looks like im fucked... its deff the crank rod bearing cuz the thing moves all over the place.. I pulled the cylinders off and shit is sloppy as hell on the bad side. How hard is this case to split? Im pretty mechanical but have never done anything like this. Am I gonna run into other issues or what exactly am I going to need? Should I get a stock crank or go over? I really dont want to drop a ton of money into it but I want it running good..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Ok so looks like im fucked... its deff the crank rod bearing cuz the thing moves all over the place.. I pulled the cylinders off and shit is sloppy as hell on the bad side. How hard is this case to split? Im pretty mechanical but have never done anything like this. Am I gonna run into other issues or what exactly am I going to need? Should I get a stock crank or go over? I really dont want to drop a ton of money into it but I want it running good..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, you got a PM on getting this fixed. ;)

both cylinder walls seem smooth but the side thats all messed up is all discolored on head and piston and walls... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks to me that the carbs weren't dialed incorrectly, was running way lean. particularly the one on the right side. Maybe detonation? Notice the "pitting" around the outside of the piston?

Edited by FullThrottle_06'

Looks to me that the carbs weren't dialed incorrectly, was running way lean. particularly the one on the right side. Maybe detonation? Notice the "pitting" around the outside of the piston?

Sup Bro, Thanks for the response. I did find that its the rod bearing on the crank, so the piston was prob doing a lill slapping and also f'ed up the piston due to this bearing issue.

Fortunatly looks like WINDYCITYJOHN400 lives close to me here in Chicago and seem to have a good plan for getting this back together. Looks like im gonna run a Stroker Crank +4mil with vitos superstock pistons.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out and again thanks to WINDYCITYJOHN for taking the extra time to get me hooked up.

Sup Bro, Thanks for the response. I did find that its the rod bearing on the crank, so the piston was prob doing a lill slapping and also f'ed up the piston due to this bearing issue.

Fortunatly looks like WINDYCITYJOHN400 lives close to me here in Chicago and seem to have a good plan for getting this back together. Looks like im gonna run a Stroker Crank +4mil with vitos superstock pistons.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out and again thanks to WINDYCITYJOHN for taking the extra time to get me hooked up.

No problem man. Sorry to hear about your new toy that's broke. hopefully you can get her running in a couple weeks. good luck to ya give it hell

No problem man. Sorry to hear about your new toy that's broke. hopefully you can get her running in a couple weeks. good luck to ya give it hell

Thanks bro, cant wait to get it up and running.. wish I was not so busy at work or I am sure id have her running this week before the local ride to the badlands.. Always love ripping up the trails and dunes there.