craidgslist scam

Handyman

These ads are everywhere, even saw a few on E-bay but they are quick to cancel the auction.

I love to play along and pretend I'm going to buy and stretch it out as long as I can with the 'seller'. There was one CL sale for a motorcycle that had the same M.O. and I acted interested. After a few emails back and forth their story was that it was stored in Tucson AZ and they would pay to ship it to me, at their expense of course. When I told them that I lived in Tucson so they could save the $ on shipping, I would still pay their full asking price which was half what it was worth, they never replied.

Another scam to look out for is when they want to buy something you're selling and offer more than your asking. They usually ask you to ship it out of the country (usually Africa) and offer to pay via Paypal. They send an authentic looking email asking for the tracking number so payment can be released to you. Paypal does not offer any such service.

They are usually obvious with all the misspellings and broken english. It's too bad that some people still fall for it or they would stop trying.

Worse case I've ever heard of was when a customer of mine told me about a guy who was checking out million dollar RVs where she worked. He was picking out the one he wanted to buy when the African Prince sent him his millions. He has already paid thousands to his friend the Prince, poor bastard!

I I S T G T B T I P I !

• 2 weeks later...