reliability of a stock vs 4mill

How does adding 4mm or any addition of piston travel amount to faster piston speed at a given rpm?

Picture a piston with 10 feet of stroke inside a cylinder. Now, imagine how fast that piston would be travelling at 60 rpm (1 trip down and back up in one second). Picture how fast it would be moving. 10 feet of stroke one way.

Now imagine a cylinder with one mile of stroke at the same rpm (1 trip down and back up in 1 second)

The second piston would be moving like ten thousand miles per hour to complete that trip in one second.

The first only 20 feet per second average.

Piston speed is a big factor that limits high rpm operation in large engines.

I think there is a set limit of like 3,000 feet per second maybe that you shouldn't go over. Something like that.

Edited by SlowMoe

There is a limit as far as how many feet per second (FPS) a piston can travel without destruction. [Please note that this should be FPM feet per minute - Rick] This limit has been established at (an average) of about 4000 FPS for high output motors - 5000 FPS for short drag racing (rare indeed) - even more rare are the to fuelers who go as high as 6000 FPS. Increases in the stroke make the limit closer and have to be compensated for in other ways.

- macdizzy.com (site about 2 strokes)

I've read thost same #s somewhere else as well I think its correct. But some other of there stuff about port work makes me think there not all too knowledgeable.

They are both about the same honestly. I feel if the 4 mil will pull my fat ass around at 6000 rpms but I'd have to rev the stock stroke more then the piston wear will be no more or less with the 4 mil. If you are going into the motor to do a crank absolutely do a 4 mil. Your new welded crank and bearings will be better than the stock crank you take out of it anyway. As far as wear on components a 4 mil isn't a crazy build its just going to be maybe 10% more HP.

They are both about the same honestly. I feel if the 4 mil will pull my fat ass around at 6000 rpms but I'd have to rev the stock stroke more then the piston wear will be no more or less with the 4 mil. If you are going into the motor to do a crank absolutely do a 4 mil. Your new welded crank and bearings will be better than the stock crank you take out of it anyway. As far as wear on components a 4 mil isn't a crazy build its just going to be maybe 10% more HP.

That sums it up well.