Riding/Protective gear on a budget

Last year I found myself riding more competitive than recreational. Last year I was pushing the banshee really hard on xc and cc type of terrain. This year I've aquired plenty of aftermarket support for my banshee including a 421 serval with goodies, wider stance with shocks set up for me, and some brake upgrades so my "whoa" power matches the go power. With all of this, I feel its time to upgrade my riding gear. My helmet is worn. Its extremely hot wearing a long sleeve shirt and heavy jeans. I wear work boots which make it hard to shift/brake. So, searching the internet I quickly realised that spending $500+ was probable. Talking to a few of the locals, they pointed me to a website called chapparal-racing.com specifically to their Ocelot brand package deals. I'm posting a link to this for two reasons. I'd like some feedback and/ore opinions on their packages. I'd also like to share it to others who have considered protective gear but are on a budget.

The package I personally ordered (for your feedback)... http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/ocelot-super-package-deal/PKG-OCELOT-SUPER10.aspx

It includes the helmet, roost protector, jersey, pants, gloves, boots, goggles, and some other goodies for under $260.

The list of packages (for others to consider)...http://chaparral-racing.com/category/mens-dirt-bike-package-deals

Last year I found myself riding more competitive than recreational. Last year I was pushing the banshee really hard on xc and cc type of terrain. This year I've aquired plenty of aftermarket support for my banshee including a 421 serval with goodies, wider stance with shocks set up for me, and some brake upgrades so my "whoa" power matches the go power. With all of this, I feel its time to upgrade my riding gear. My helmet is worn. Its extremely hot wearing a long sleeve shirt and heavy jeans. I wear work boots which make it hard to shift/brake. So, searching the internet I quickly realised that spending $500+ was probable. Talking to a few of the locals, they pointed me to a website called chapparal-racing.com specifically to their Ocelot brand package deals. I'm posting a link to this for two reasons. I'd like some feedback and/ore opinions on their packages. I'd also like to share it to others who have considered protective gear but are on a budget.

The package I personally ordered (for your feedback)... http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/ocelot-super-package-deal/PKG-OCELOT-SUPER10.aspx

It includes the helmet, roost protector, jersey, pants, gloves, boots, goggles, and some other goodies for under $260.

The list of packages (for others to consider)...http://chaparral-racing.com/category/mens-dirt-bike-package-deals

looks like good stuff to me. the price is great

whoa that's cheap.

Around here almost all the riders at mx and xc comps wear a neck brace; I won't get on my bike without my Leatt Brace.

I wouldn't cheap out on the helmet, neck brace or boots.

i would not ride my 421 with that cheap helmet. It's only DOT approved. I would not go cheap on a helmet make sure that is at least SNELL approved. Plus it doesn't seem really comfortable and probably heavy. the rest of kit seems ok. I prefer try the boots first before buy them. i recommend neck brace too if you do lot of track racing. :cheers:

I agree with all of the above, try on a few different boots and choose something confortable and quality. I have Thor boots now and find them very nice can ride all day with them. I think they ran about 150 bucks on sale.

Again as said above look for a Snell Bucket. HJC are generally decent for the price.

Not sure where your from but in ontario we have royal distributing stores, kind of like Dennis Kirk, and they have tent sales every year and i picked up Thor over the boot riding pants and jersey and gloves last year for something like 60 bucks total. The pants have zip off legs so they can be worn as long shorts on hot days. They were old stock but super cheap and im not worried about style just wanted to get away from jeans and a t shirt like you.

This year ill be looking into a neck brace for motocross and ramp jumping. Those who are using them what are your feelings? What one do you wear?

I'll most likely upgrade later down the road once this stuff wears out. If this helmet seems cheap I can always use my old AFX helmet. Keep the other for two times a year when the girl rides the trails with me. lol

And customer service contacted me today. The boots were out of stock so they upgraded to some O'neal brand boots. I'll have to research the O'neal stuff...