first banshee tear down

hey guys i got a banshee a few weeks ago and it has a bad second gear, so while the motor is out of it i decided it would be good idea to do a complete tear down and paint the frame, swing arm, a arms, axel, rims, and anything else i can do. i was wondering if there are any common problems when tearing everything apart and putting together or problems some of you guys have had. i was also looking for some advice where to get tranny parts at a decent price, or anything else you guys think would do my banshee some good. right now i have full pro circuit pipes, barnett clutch (putting the stock prings back in) douglas rims, red bull graphics, nerf bars, renthal bars, trail tech head lights in stock mounting spot, and racing front fenders. im open to any advice from you guys, and any used parts that you have laying around i may need down the road???

thanks for the help!!!

hey guys i got a banshee a few weeks ago and it has a bad second gear, so while the motor is out of it i decided it would be good idea to do a complete tear down and paint the frame, swing arm, a arms, axel, rims, and anything else i can do. i was wondering if there are any common problems when tearing everything apart and putting together or problems some of you guys have had. i was also looking for some advice where to get tranny parts at a decent price, or anything else you guys think would do my banshee some good. right now i have full pro circuit pipes, barnett clutch (putting the stock prings back in) douglas rims, red bull graphics, nerf bars, renthal bars, trail tech head lights in stock mounting spot, and racing front fenders. im open to any advice from you guys, and any used parts that you have laying around i may need down the road???

thanks for the help!!!

Only issues I had during the tear down were the body bolts. Were rusted to the nuts and they use a phillips screw head. Dumb idea by yamaha. The swing arm bolt was seized and ruined when forced out.

Put a grease fitting in the swingarm pivot. Parts can be had by any online retailer, ronnies is one that I remember. Or, check out some of the site sponsors.... while its apart, get a stainless bolt kit, clean the wiring harness up, move the coolant bottle to the front, and replace anything that's worn. Likely every bushing and/or bearing in the machine

Only issues I had during the tear down were the body bolts. Were rusted to the nuts and they use a phillips screw head. Dumb idea by yamaha. The swing arm bolt was seized and ruined when forced out.

how did you end up getting out the swing arm bolt? im starting the tear down next week and am afraid that its gonna be tough getting out.. my bike is a 97 and im sure it hasnt been taken out yet lol

For the nut that holds the lower steering stem bearing in, get a 3/4" bolt, which will have a 1 1/8" head. You are essentially using it as a big allen wrench. You can turn the bolt with a pipe wrench or weld a junk socket to the threaded end of the bolt. You can get a new bearing and both seals for $15 shipped off ebay.

how did you end up getting out the swing arm bolt? im starting the tear down next week and am afraid that its gonna be tough getting out.. my bike is a 97 and im sure it hasnt been taken out yet lol

I hit it with a short 3 lb hammer until flush. then got a long punch and drove it the rest of the way out. mushroomed the threads put got a new one on here for 20 shipped, just gotta look and ask for one

might want to consider a few parts in the motor while its out. If you don't already have them. Pancake bearing clutch adjuster, Modded shift star, and billet water pump impeller. Just a few off the top of my head. Peace of mind , priceless