Machined 421 cub piston

Got a 421 cub. Had 2 Wiseco 573 pistons that went in it during a rebuild, and had one cylinder go down. Buddy had a 421 cub that had some Wiseco 573's in it that were only ran a few passes then tore down and went to a builder and got some different piston. Well I just figured I'd run one of his pistons. But the pistons that came out of his motor had a small machined ring below the bottom ring groove. It was maybe .005" taken off all the way around the piston. Anyone know of a builder that does this? Think it will be an issue being a different weight than the other piston? I don't think the ring itself will, but I'm now worried that the piston may be machined somewhere else. We looked them over real good and they didn't appear to be different, hoping someone here knows of a builder that does this, and knows if they do any other machining on them.

Here's a pic of it, the machined section is between the red lines.

post-22804-0-03414200-1298946939_thumb.jpg

you already have it apart for one piston -- so use both of the same pistons from your buddy's engine since he got new ones -- weight problem solved that simple

Weigh them and see what the diff is. Cut your good piston to match the other.

As far as that modification, it's something that Jennings talks about, it's to give the piston crown a little extra room to "grow" with the heat. Might want to closely mic both pistons, top, middle, bottom ,front to back, side to size.

In the end it's your decision.

You didn't mention that your buddy only had one good piston ,YO. :jesterlaugh: