Oil leak! Help?

B Rich45

Hey guys I bought a 87 Shee about a month ago, great bike. Runs very, very strong but after I got it home and took it for a quick ride i figured I'd change the oil and gas. When I took the dipstick out it seemed to be bone dry. So i got some 10w 40 oil and filled it up. After starting it and riding it around my neighborhood a couple times oil started spitting out of the overflow tube near the front end. I figured i might have put too much in so I just put it away until today. After being out on a lake for about an hour and a half it was still spitting big amounts of oil out. it seemed a little foamy when it was coming out as well. But the bike ran GREAT! I don't get it. If someone could help it would be greatly appreciated. And YES, I am a noob to this stuff. please help

Have you checked the water to see if it is using any?

Well you need to pull the front shroud off and take the cap off the Rad and see if it is full. If you are just running automotive oil in it then it may foam up on you but it sounds like it has water in the oil but would need to check the water to be sure. Is it overfull now that you rode it for a while?

get the oil out of it hopefully your clutch is ok you CANNOT use automotive oil in a bike/ atv/ dirt bike with wet clutch. you need atv/ dirtbike/ street bike specific motor oil usually is a 10-40 or a 20-50 or other weights. i personally use castrol 4T MOTORCYCLE oil in mine i get it at o'reilly's

you need to refill the bike at 1.5 qts and check the vent tube from the back of the case ( inbetween the rear motor mount) and the one coming out of the clutch cover. those should run into a T fitting and then the top can go where ever its just a vent line and the height keeps the fluid from dumping out. fill it up and dont check the dip shit. if its not leaking oil its fine you can check the dip schtick after its been sitting NOT running NOT idleing NOT started at all for about 20 mins the fluid will settle down and kinda even out. usually if its on the stick i'm happy.

the reason for that is when the motor is running the clutch is spinnig very fast and actually shoves all the oil into the transmission area. it takes a lil bit for it all to drain back into the clutch cover.

LOL glad you put more thought into this than I did Cam. Ya regular oil will not work in a wet clutch setup and it will foam like crazy and if you keep running it then you will burn your clutch up in short order.

get the oil out of it hopefully your clutch is ok you CANNOT use automotive oil in a bike/ atv/ dirt bike with wet clutch. you need atv/ dirtbike/ street bike specific motor oil usually is a 10-40 or a 20-50 or other weights. i personally use castrol 4T MOTORCYCLE oil in mine i get it at o'reilly's

you need to refill the bike at 1.5 qts and check the vent tube from the back of the case ( inbetween the rear motor mount) and the one coming out of the clutch cover. those should run into a T fitting and then the top can go where ever its just a vent line and the height keeps the fluid from dumping out. fill it up and dont check the dip shit. if its not leaking oil its fine you can check the dip schtick after its been sitting NOT running NOT idleing NOT started at all for about 20 mins the fluid will settle down and kinda even out. usually if its on the stick i'm happy.

the reason for that is when the motor is running the clutch is spinnig very fast and actually shoves all the oil into the transmission area. it takes a lil bit for it all to drain back into the clutch cover.

Wow, thanks for the advice man i really appreciate it! So do you think that is the only problem? I'm still a little confused because i've seen forums that say they have been using 10w 40 oil and have had no problems

What they said ^^^. 10w-40 is just a weight. Automotive engine oil and motorcycle oil are two different things, but can be same weight. Some use ATF type F and just change it more often. When you drain it give it a good amount of time to allow as much as possible to drain out. I would do another change on a shorter interval just to get more of the bad shit out. Oil is cheap, clutches aren't. banghead JMHO, your results may vary. :jesterlaugh: The bit about water in oil is because waterpump seal can leak, also o-ring on coolant pipe. A Clymers repair manual will be your best friend.

Edited by Larry's Shee

I had the same problem with mine a while back... oil was comming out of the over flow and i tore it dow to find a bad crank bearing and leaking seal... i caught it before it did any damage so i got lucky... the gasses were pressurising the case and the fluid was being forced out