hows little sahara, ok

gstaten24

i live in new mexico and it looks like those are some pretty nice dunes for a week long trip this summer. i am from oregon so im used to the coos bay area sand dunes, ive also been to st anthony in idaho. how does little sahara compare to the oregon coast/st anthony?

No comparison between St. Anthony and little sahara in OK. Unless you live right next to LS, or its the only place you can afford to go to I don't see any reason why you wouldn't go the extra distance and hit some real dunes like Sand Mountain, UT or KP in Wyoming. Both are well worth the drive, over going to LS.

Here's a comparison between KP sand dunes (the three pics across the top) and LS, OK (the one picture on the bottom). All images are taken at the same elevation from google maps. 27,750ft.

ce667784.jpg

Damn. Does KP seem that big? LS used to feel big, but now that I know where everything is it's not that big. Don't get me wrong it's still a damn blast and I'm glad it's only 3 hours away.

I like to have some nice hills and whatnot which is how the Oregon coast is, I've only been to st Anthony once wish I cud go back but that's like a 5 day drive just to get there. So sand mountain in Utah is worth going to over LS? I'll have to see how mug farther it is cuz LS is only a 6 hour drive

Edited by gstaten24

Damn. Does KP seem that big? LS used to feel big, but now that I know where everything is it's not that big. Don't get me wrong it's still a damn blast and I'm glad it's only 3 hours away.

That's not even all of KP. That's only the ORV portion of the dunes. The dunes themselves are actually close to tripple the size of the pics, but the rest is wilderness study area. The portion I posted up is the public ORV area. ... and yes, it really is THAT big. Its the second largest active sand dunes in north america.

I like to have some nice hills and whatnot which is how the Oregon coast is, I've only been to st Anthony once wish I cud go back but that's like a 5 day drive just to get there. So sand mountain in Utah is worth going to over LS? I'll have to see how mug farther it is cuz LS is only a 6 hour drive

YES! Well worth the drive. There are dunes at Sand Mountain, UT that are close to what you would experience at St. Anthony. Well worth the drive. We are going there for Easter weekend.

- Jared

ohh thats COOL!!

LS sucks its full of sand and hotdogs and golfcarts and these weirdo's keep flying by yelling the 250 class is the shit, plus i swear everyone is drunk and their wive's are half naked most of the time! then there is all the loud ass smoking bike's with the mufflers that fell off of them. and they only seem to be able to go in a straight line out there ! screw that place!

Does KP have camping places with power and water like LS does? Thay place looks bad ass.

There is plenty of camping and parking, but no water or power hookups. There are BLM bathrooms, that's about it. On the busiest holiday weekends you won't even see that many people out on the dunes at KP. Its by far the least ridden dunes in the country, and one of the biggest. Its not easy to get to though, so not many people venture out there.

The picture in my signature is taken at the south end of KP. You can see the dunes going all the way up to steamboat mountain in the background.

Edited by BigRed350x

what fun is a race bike if there is no one there to race? I'd hate to go ride and only have 2 bikes to race. I like my high traffic area's.. LS was a blast last year. Saturday nite they had to be running 20 wide.. I loved it!

On the bigger weekends there are quite a few big bikes that show up at KP for the racing. Not as many as you would see at Utah or LS, but still some nice fast bikes. Turbo GSXR1000's, 16mil DM, 4mil cheetahs, 4mil cubs, 10mil cubs, snomo powered bikes...

If you venture out on the dunes, you won't see anyone. If you stay at the big hills and want to race there will be plenty of action.