First Time to Glamis

Bri894

I'll be going to Glamis for the first time this Presidents weekend. I'll be going with Glamis Trips. I believe I'm staying at Pad #2. I have a 28' trailer. I'll be flying into San Diego and renting a car to drive out to the dunes. Are there places close by to get food, gas, beer etc? My Shee is going out on a tractor so I have a space on it. Should I bring pre-mix oil or buy it out there? Also my Shee is not worked. I just had the top/bottom ends done. It's .10 over with weisco pistons, v force 3 reeds, hot rods crank, tors eliminated and Toomey T6 pipes. I got a set of tires, front Dune Trackers 22x8x10 and rears Sand Sharks 20x11x10. Will I be OK?

I'll be going to Glamis for the first time this Presidents weekend. I'll be going with Glamis Trips. I believe I'm staying at Pad #2. I have a 28' trailer. I'll be flying into San Diego and renting a car to drive out to the dunes. Are there places close by to get food, gas, beer etc? My Shee is going out on a tractor so I have a space on it. Should I bring pre-mix oil or buy it out there? Also my Shee is not worked. I just had the top/bottom ends done. It's .10 over with weisco pistons, v force 3 reeds, hot rods crank, tors eliminated and Toomey T6 pipes. I got a set of tires, front Dune Trackers 22x8x10 and rears Sand Sharks 20x11x10. Will I be OK?

If you have a cheap place to get oil where you are from, then I would buy it there. You get closer to the dunes where the demand is higher and the price for stuff like that will go up. Make sure you have a flag. If you've never been on sand before, I'd get some sprockets. At least bring 1 size smaller front sprocket than what you run in the dirt. Sand tends to suck a little more power from you. Also make sure you have some jets with you. The elevation is close to sea level, so if you are higher you will definitely want to re-jet before you go tearing off into the dunes. Bring an extra set of plugs just in case you foul a set.

Ask around here for some local guys who might be able to hook up with you and show you around or help you out if needed.

There are TONS of places on your way out there to stop and get premix. If you're flying into Lindbergh, I'm assuming you will be going out the 8. There's probably about 10 places to stop before you even get out of San Diego. But like 350x said, if you have a cheap place to get it where you're at, just throw it in with your bike, on the rig so you don't have to mess with it.

The city of Brawley is about 30 minutes from glamis, and is the closest city to buy beer/food/gas... whatever you need. There is a walmart there, several grocery stores, etc.

You'll definitely be fine with your mods. You have about the same mods as most people who ride out there. I ran stock sprockets out there and was just fine. Definitely bring some jets with you, though.

Here is a link to the rules and regs for Glamis. They don't screw around on the big weekends and they will pull you over to see if you been drinking. Also make sure you have a copy of your registration on you while riding and a current registration sticker from your local state. Have a great time. We will be out there the week before.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/ohvs/isdra/dunesinfo/lawenforcement/rules_regs.html

Edited by ban99

Here is a link to the rules and regs for Glamis. They don't screw around on the big weekends and they will pull you over to see if you been drinking. Also make sure you have a copy of your registration on you while riding and a current registration sticker from your local state. Have a great time. We will be out there the week before.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/ohvs/isdra/dunesinfo/lawenforcement/rules_regs.html

While most of your info is accurate, I need to clear up a few things. It is VERY true that the BLM, and ISO don't mess around on big weekends. They will not pull you over "to see if you've been drinking". If you're riding like a douchebag close to people, or don't have a flag, proper tail light, etc, then yes, they will stop you and most likely do a FST. I have never carried paper registration with me, just my insurance card in my wallet. The current reg STICKER is an absolute must, they WILL stop you if it's not visible as well.

Basically, just read over those rules that ban99 posted, don't be stupid, follow the rules, and you'll have an awesome time. Also, riding with a 6-pack rack will make you a target for sure.

While most of your info is accurate, I need to clear up a few things. It is VERY true that the BLM, and ISO don't mess around on big weekends. They will not pull you over "to see if you've been drinking". If you're riding like a douchebag close to people, or don't have a flag, proper tail light, etc, then yes, they will stop you and most likely do a FST. I have never carried paper registration with me, just my insurance card in my wallet. The current reg STICKER is an absolute must, they WILL stop you if it's not visible as well.

Basically, just read over those rules that ban99 posted, don't be stupid, follow the rules, and you'll have an awesome time. Also, riding with a 6-pack rack will make you a target for sure.

You are correct in that they will not pull you over to "check to see if you have been drinking" but I have been stopped under the pretence that they could not see my stock tail light that was working perfectly only to proceed to the "have you been drinking" questions. Also been asked twice for my bike registration so I just keep a copy in my back pack. I researched into insurance requirements and found that it is not required in CA. but still hear of guys being asked for proof. Has that happened to you Matt and if so did they say it's now required?

No, it's not required, but I insure everything I own. God forbid that I hit a doctor or lawyer while out riding, and paralyze him, and have to pay his mortgage, and all the rest of his bills for the rest of his life. I just have too much to lose to not have insurance out there. Hopefully it will be required soon! It'd be nice to know that more people out there are insured as well. It cost me 13 bucks a month for full coverage on my bike, and it was included under my $2m umbrella policy as well. Covered theft, fire, anything... Well worth it in my opinion.

My Shee is registered and insured in Jersey. We only get a paper registration, no sticker or plate. I do run a six pack rack but I carry a 2 gallon gas can on it. Do you CA guys have plates on you bkies or just registration stickers?

No, it's not required, but I insure everything I own. God forbid that I hit a doctor or lawyer while out riding, and paralyze him, and have to pay his mortgage, and all the rest of his bills for the rest of his life. I just have too much to lose to not have insurance out there. Hopefully it will be required soon! It'd be nice to know that more people out there are insured as well. It cost me 13 bucks a month for full coverage on my bike, and it was included under my $2m umbrella policy as well. Covered theft, fire, anything... Well worth it in my opinion.

That's not a bad price, who covers accidental for atv's? My provider won't cover that stuff just theft and fire.

That's not a bad price, who covers accidental for atv's? My provider won't cover that stuff just theft and fire.

My insurance company is American National. They insure everything... golf carts, buggies, jewelry, general liability, everything... and have never once hesitated to pay out a claim... Almost didn't even ask questions. I think the only thing they DON'T insure, is special events, but you can just get a general liability policy for a year, and that will cover it, usually cheaper than buying special event insurance for one day... and you've got it for a year.

Yes, in California, they sell out of state registration stickers. Last time I checked it was $23, and was available pretty much everywhere. I'm not 100% sure it's required out there, but I would imagine so, otherwise there's no reason to sell them. Might be worth buying, just to make sure you don't get dicked with.

Bri, no plates, just a small sticker.