crank problem please help

speedfreek1

iam new to this site and i was wondering if someone could help me out i blew my top end left cylinder and i was inspecting the crank when i realized that there was a space in the crank rod it slides a lil to the left and right the other rod has no gap what so ever could i have blown my crank

hey should slide to the lef and ride some,but not up and down

hey should slide to the lef and ride some,but not up and down

Yes, there should be some side clearance,BUT, if 1 side is signifcantly larger than the other, then your crank is probably seperating. That means it is time to split the cases and have the crank rebuilt, trued and welded.

Check the two sides and compare. If both sides are equal and its only a couple thousandths on each side you are fine. If its too much, or the two sides vary, its time to have the crank rebuilt. Give Kevin Herr a call. His number is in my signature. He can tell you how much play is too much, and can also rebuild the crank if needed. If you do need it rebuilt, I'd get it welded up at the same time.

Check the two sides and compare. If both sides are equal and its only a couple thousandths on each side you are fine. If its too much, or the two sides vary, its time to have the crank rebuilt. Give Kevin Herr a call. His number is in my signature. He can tell you how much play is too much, and can also rebuild the crank if needed. If you do need it rebuilt, I'd get it welded up at the same time.

thanx guys but do you fellas even think its worth rebuilding the crank or just buying a new one cause iam looking to get a new 421 set up and i had the crank a while its a 4mil stroker vitos crank and there is a lot of space dif between the two rods on the other rod it doesnt move at all mean while the other just slides back and forth i mean i would like to save some money

call one of the site sponsors and ask them what their opinions are....i know Jeff from FAST is a really great guy that will give you truthful answers (as im sure most site sponsors on here will do...they're all good guys) but Jeff will be able to tell you whether it would be cheaper to rebuild and weld the crank or to get a different crank

thanx guys but do you fellas even think its worth rebuilding the crank or just buying a new one cause iam looking to get a new 421 set up and i had the crank a while its a 4mil stroker vitos crank and there is a lot of space dif between the two rods on the other rod it doesnt move at all mean while the other just slides back and forth i mean i would like to save some money

Save money and risk putting more money in it down the road, or just get the problem fixed before it gets any worse. Give kevin at herr jugs a call and talk to him about it. He can get you set up with the 421 kit and any work your crank might need.

Edited by BigRed350x