Got ripped on plastics, have questions, need help...

bigblockbanshee

So I bought some plastics tonight and as usual the whole "don't ever buy anything in the dark" statement held true. I thought I looked them over piece by piece, inch by inch, but when I got home it hit me, I got screwed. I bought them with the understanding that I was gonna strip the paint off of them and try to paint them with spray-bomb the color that I wanted. They were uncut and in good shape, supposedly. Now I've decided that I'm cutting the front fenders at least and the rear fenders are sagging badly. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the "bungee cord" method or sitting them outside on a hot summer day? It's about mid 40s or less on average now so the "hot" part is out of the question. And as for the paint, I've done quite a bit of searching and have found that brake fluid does best in wrinkling the paint off without bothering the plastic so I'm letting it soak overnight. As of now I'm regretting even buying these things but I'm hoping I can do some work on them and try to sell them to someone in need but only if I can get them to looking decent. Does anyone have any more suggestions for a bad case of the sags and removing the paint?

So I bought some plastics tonight and as usual the whole "don't ever buy anything in the dark" statement held true. I thought I looked them over piece by piece, inch by inch, but when I got home it hit me, I got screwed. I bought them with the understanding that I was gonna strip the paint off of them and try to paint them with spray-bomb the color that I wanted. They were uncut and in good shape, supposedly. Now I've decided that I'm cutting the front fenders at least and the rear fenders are sagging badly. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the "bungee cord" method or sitting them outside on a hot summer day? It's about mid 40s or less on average now so the "hot" part is out of the question. And as for the paint, I've done quite a bit of searching and have found that brake fluid does best in wrinkling the paint off without bothering the plastic so I'm letting it soak overnight. As of now I'm regretting even buying these things but I'm hoping I can do some work on them and try to sell them to someone in need but only if I can get them to looking decent. Does anyone have any more suggestions for a bad case of the sags and removing the paint?

I know how to fix your sagging rear fender. Cascade innovations sells a bracket. But if you want to go the free route, like I would. I've done this many times and it also takes out the white marks you get from bending the plastic. Propane torch. What you want to do is prop the fender up with a piece of wood or somthing similar. ( it helps to get a piece longer then needed, in other words make it a little taller, because they will sag a little ) Then heat the fender from the bottom side untill its about ready to melt. Try to heat it evenly as possible. Then just let it cool. Its easy and quick to do.

Matt has done this many times, and it works. Take his advice. Hold that propane torch far enough away of course. That method worked on bikes that were trashed to heck, and he brought them back to life.

Also, for your paint removing...

2+2 Carb Cleaner will rip that paint right off, and won't hurt the plastics.

What is this 2+2 stuff? Is that the brand? I've got all kinds of carb cleaner but I don't know about the 2+2.

You should try the bungee trick to get them up some than go buy some cascsde fender supports heres the link http://67.199.65.66/cascade_innovations/newlook/store/store_View.cfm?STORE_AREA_ID=3&store_dept_id=18 they work i had to do it to mine

Well fellas I just confirmed how bad I got screwed with this deal. At first the right front fender was cracked and I'd planned on just cutting the front plastics, thinking that the rears would be fine and I'd still end up with a decent set. Now tonight I've gotten about 90% of the paint off and found a big fat crack on the top side of the right rear fender also. I'm probably gonna just end up trying to sell these to someone that wants to cut front and rear. That's about all they would be good for. I just can't justify spending all of this money on my 'shee and then putting a half-ass set of plastics on her. This sucks...

FWIW a heat gun does absolute wonders on getting the paint off AND I get to shine up the plastic at the same time. Luckily for me whoever painted them didn't put any kind of primer on them or even scuff them up, just painted right over them. Regardless of me getting rid of them or not, the first good pressure wash I'd have given them would've peeled the paint in sheets. Chris

Because the cracks in the right side fenders were painted over. Under the lights, the night that I bought them, they looked decent although I'd already decided I was stripping the paint off of them. It wasn't until I got them home and got some if the paint stripped off that I realized that they were cracked. That was also the point to where I couldn't file a claim through eBay because I'd tampered or modified them from the state they were in when I purchased them. I won't be doing anything like this again for sure.