mx gearing for tight track

shadowbanshee

hey building my hare scramble banshee up to mx. im not sure what gearing i have now but im shifting alot on the track. its a pretty tight track with a lot of turns. mods include 30mm oko carbs, kn filter with outerwears, ohlins shocks all around, v force 3 reeds, pro circuit pipes, im getting great end torque but the amount i have to shift is killing me, what do you guys recommend. im at work so idk what it is now sorry.

Sprockets are the cheapest performance gain that you can make. Start with a 13 or 14 front and a few different rears like 40,41,42 with a 20in. rear tire and try them all. I have used many different combos over the years. You may have to take into consideration chain adjustability depending on the swingarm you are using. Your engine build will determine what you need. I had been using 14, 40 on the track but when I had to use my stock head and lost 1/4 of my compression the 13,41 was the better choice. A 15 would be used with a high performance build or 18in. tires.

Edited by SSSSSS

i have a 18 inch brand new dunlop rear like a razr pattern. i had a spare 15t so i put that on it. so im running 15, 41 but waiting on a new carb to test anything. how much will the 18 rears affect me i had 20s before?

• 2 weeks later...

a 17 41 would be the same with a 18 tire from your 20 and 15 41 gear if you are running on a slick muddy track you need taller tires with larger gears to spin across the finish line in first place thats what they do in the UK