Squeaky Rear end!

papasmurf

Hey guys, ever since I rode my banshee in the trails I've been getting this loud squeaky noise every time I press down or sit on my banshee. It's definitely coming from somewhere in the back. What's most likely causing it? It's fairly loud.

Have no fear. It is your swingarm, and shock linkage. It's normal. Every banshee squaks... Just make sure you grease all of your zirk fittings. I like to use waterproof wheel bearing grease. You can get it at pretty much any place that sells boat trailer stuff... It's usually blue, and awesome.

Have no fear. It is your swingarm, and shock linkage. It's normal. Every banshee squaks... Just make sure you grease all of your zirk fittings. I like to use waterproof wheel bearing grease. You can get it at pretty much any place that sells boat trailer stuff... It's usually blue, and awesome.

Yea I'm going to re-grease it, the squeaking only really concerned me because it started happening after I rode in the trails, it never squeaked before. Not really sure why it would start squeaking like that randomly....

Yea I'm going to re-grease it, the squeaking only really concerned me because it started happening after I rode in the trails, it never squeaked before. Not really sure why it would start squeaking like that randomly....

Mine didn't squeak when I first got it, and two trips after I had it, it started squeaking... :confused:

Bel-Ray makes excellent grease. I use it for everything. Even put it on my tacos some times. Tasty!

Most likely it's the linkage or the lower shock bushing. Pull the lower shock bolt out, but leave the top one on, and remove the two spacers from each side of the rod end and smear a little grease on each side of that bushing, and a little inside. Don't over-do it since the grease will attract dirt.

Update:

I've regreased all of the grease zerks in the rear (minus the one undernearth the swingarm blocked by the skidplate) and sprayed wd-40 on just about everything that moves under there... the squeak hasn't changed at all.

I did find a little problem while I was down there, I noticed my coolant is leaking out and there was a small puddle of it building up on my skidplate and I'm sure its gotten on a lot more than just that down there. I can't figure out why the coolant is leaking, it seems to be a slow leak from the bottom of the reservoir. Could the anti-freeze leaking out onto the bearings and possibly the suspension have caused the squeakyness?

All Banshees squeak at one time or another. Mine will squeak right after I grease it and when it is dry as dirt it will be quiet. Idoudt that the coolant leak is causing it. But I would get rid of the overflow bottle like most people do.

Just felt like updating this thread.

After I completely washed off my banshee with soap and water the rear shock doesn't squeak at all anymore. I can sit on it and all I hear is the compression of the shock and some minor creaks I can hardly notice.

The funny thing about it is now when I push down on my front shocks the right shock makes a squeaky noise sometimes! Looks like I'll never been completely squeak free, luckily that shock doesn't squeak unless I push directly on it.

Just felt like updating this thread.

After I completely washed off my banshee with soap and water the rear shock doesn't squeak at all anymore. I can sit on it and all I hear is the compression of the shock and some minor creaks I can hardly notice.

The funny thing about it is now when I push down on my front shocks the right shock makes a squeaky noise sometimes! Looks like I'll never been completely squeak free, luckily that shock doesn't squeak unless I push directly on it.

• 3 weeks later...

just like the rattling kick-start, it can be fixed. just keep the stuff lubed and clean.........i pressure wash mine after a ride and then spray it with wd-40 to prevent rust, and such...and that's in the alaska silt, with 97 shock components. fords and some chevys have the same probelm.........you just lube the bushings and call it a day.......and lube that one that is hidden