My $2 Mod!

SAVAGE420

Well as we all know any vibrations to the hands sucks big time when riding a long time.

So i was out in the shop thinking about ideas to do the other day. Decided to try some silicone in my bars. WAY less vibes to your hand, No joke ether. 100% silicone with a caulking gun. Stand the bars up straight and fill em up. You have to go slow and do some from each side to ensure that you get it as evenly dispersed as possible.

I use the Pro Taper Contours (1-1/8) bars. Think about this for a second, take your bars off and hit them on the ground holding the end and see how it feels. Now fill them up with 100% silicone and let set for the day, now bang them on the ground the same way, you will say wow and scratch your head with a lil grin.

Im always thinking of cheap ways to make things better or smoother. With that being said, having an Anti Vibe Stem, Precision's Shock & Vibe Handlebar Clamp, the new ATV Four Play’s Soft Bars or Fasst Flexx Bars will be alot better BUT, how can you go wrong for 2 bux and a few minutes of time right? Even better if you have them all installed also.

Ive only tried aluminum bars, so don't know if it would make as big of difference using steel bars. Maybe someone can try them as ive never had steel bars.

This is a very simple and affordable mod to make to your bars. If you use 100% silicone, it is Much lighter than siding door caulk etc. Just grab a seat and go slow. It should take you 5-10 minutes. Put it in each side and then let your bars set for a day and mount them up.

I've ridden twice since and I swear to you guys/gals, I feel a very noticable difference in fatigue. Best $2 I've spent on the banshee yet. Im going to do My RM later also.

From track, trail, drag and play bikes, i think everyone can benefit from less vibrations being transfered to the body.

Less vibes to the hands on long rides is a MAJOR + in my book.

To anyone that try's it let me know what you think.

All i gotta say is don't knock it before you try it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have one doubt. just say i try it and dont like it. how the fuck am i gunna get it out.

lol, thats the first thing i thought....but if a few more people try it with good results i'll be down to try it...

nice write up. i think i might try this with my spare set of bars. also, is there any noticeable, or significant weight difference? obviously your filling the bars with solicone, so it should change

i wonder if great stuff would be better and easier, and maybe even lighter. maybe i'll try great stuff and try the silicon to see which is better.

I did this on my old KX, but with sand instead of silicone... you make a "plug" out of silicone on one end... let that dry... then fill the bars up with fine sand from the other end, then plug that with silicone... If you don't like it, you pull the silicone plugs out, and all the sand comes out... Silicone has to air dry, so the silicone more than about an inch in from the end will never dry...

It makes sense. Any rubber like material will absorb vibrations, so the extra weight combine with the silicone would absorb more of the vibrations. Its kind of the same concept as painting the inside of a boat or car with a rubberized coating to absorb motor vibrations

good idea.....works just like a rubber bar snake that they have been using for decades on road bikes. the foam won't do shit for vibes. it needs to be high density and "jiggly" to absorb. that being said, i eliminated my vibration completely by running even compression, consistant spark, and synced carbs.......no need for anti-vibe here. we shall see when i get the 4mill done....

how many tubes of silicone does it take?

Ok sos, as i sez to youz guys yesterday, i went over to lowe's and got myself some 100% silicone caulking (man that stuff smells AWESOME) And i filled my renthals. Iactually let the silicone and the bars set in the sun, put the sniper barrle on my WD-40 ans shot some in ther, figured it may slide in and fill better warm and lubricated, but who knows, I just put duct tape over one end and used a wood clamp to secure them standing on end to the corner of my parts washer cart. I went outside, got the caulking, threw it in the gun, clipped the tip and filled it slowly with a few full pumps, watched it go down, did it again, it seemed to settle pretty good, so i stuck a plastic bar end in there, flipped em, took the tape off and filled them and let it settle, i bought 2 tubes of dap 100% silicone, but it only took one and i'm pretty satisfied that thier pretty solidly filled, I waited about 2 hours for them to dry a little and just stuck them back on....

I rode a little bit today and yeah...i havent went crazy for hours or anything yet, but just going down the road and for a short trail ride and back it feels alot more solid...

I RECCOMEND IT, ITS DEFINATELY NOT SOMETHING YOUR GOING TO HATE OR THAT WILL MAKE YOUR BIKE WORSE AND A FEW OUNCES IS NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL AS FAR AS HANDLING OR E.T. AND IMO SOMETHING THAT IS CHEAP AND HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.

THANKS SAVAGE !!! :cheers:

Silicone has to air dry, so the silicone more than about an inch in from the end will never dry...

so what if you stand the bars on end, fill it up an inch or so at a time and let it dry (each inch+) and repeat untill you have completely filled the bars?

awesome idea. i just bought a LSR anti vibe stem and ProTaper contours 1 1/8 bars, i am surely gonna do this. i build custom cars and from my experience silicone on steel promotes rust, so doin this on steel bars just keep that in mind...and the foem thing would be a waste of $10.00 wouldnt change a thing. GREAT IDEA SAVAGE :cheers::cheers::cheers: