banshee coil?

rick7476

i have a 2001 banshee with paul turner mid range pipes, runs great, i put cool head on it with 21cc domes and it ran like shit after wards, pulled the head and checked to make sure the o-rings looked good and they did so put it back together and same thing. if i pull one spart plug wire and it runs on one cylyinder, if i pull the other one plug wire after puting the the other one back one it wont run, but if i switch the wires it will run on the one wire but not the other, could the coil be weak on one side, or could it just be the boot, i would think that the coil fires both at the same time so if one is good the other has to be good. any help

Unscrew the plug boots & look at the color of the plug wire. Clip a 1/4 inch off at a time until you no longer see a green coroded color. Then seperate the strands of wire at the end by inserting a pick in the middle of them, (just a little ways 1/8 or so) this ensures the threaded post of the cap doesn't wander off as you thread it back on. Aplly inward pressure while threading & stop when you feel the resistance increase - that feeling is the post in the cap bottoming out - don't strip/overtighten.

Then recheck.

You may also pay the same kind of attention to the coil side of the wires - go easy on the retaining clip.

Unscrew the plug boots & look at the color of the plug wire. Clip a 1/4 inch off at a time until you no longer see a green coroded color. Then seperate the strands of wire at the end by inserting a pick in the middle of them, (just a little ways 1/8 or so) this ensures the threaded post of the cap doesn't wander off as you thread it back on. Aplly inward pressure while threading & stop when you feel the resistance increase - that feeling is the post in the cap bottoming out - don't strip/overtighten.

Then recheck.

You may also pay the same kind of attention to the coil side of the wires - go easy on the retaining clip.

i dont think my coil wires will come apart from the coil, i tryed once and they didnt seem like they would come off without breaking off the clips, i tryed new boots today and no differences, the wires on the coil looked pretty good but tomorrow ill try cuting and see if that helps. thanks for the help, any other tips? it seems to be just one spark plug wire that is causing me the problem, can the coil be good on one cylinder and not the other?

i dont think my coil wires will come apart from the coil, i tryed once and they didnt seem like they would come off without breaking off the clips, i tryed new boots today and no differences, the wires on the coil looked pretty good but tomorrow ill try cuting and see if that helps. thanks for the help, any other tips? it seems to be just one spark plug wire that is causing me the problem, can the coil be good on one cylinder and not the other?

the coil fires both plugs everytime it fires. So if one side is firing then the coil is good. However there is always a possibility of a short to the side not firing. The short would be in the wire if you already tried new boots. next time just switch boots before buying new ones to see if thats the problem. All I can tell you is to be careful and try to remove the wire and clean it. I have tried before and broke the clip every time. Good luck!

the coil fires both plugs everytime it fires. So if one side is firing then the coil is good. However there is always a possibility of a short to the side not firing. The short would be in the wire if you already tried new boots. next time just switch boots before buying new ones to see if thats the problem. All I can tell you is to be careful and try to remove the wire and clean it. I have tried before and broke the clip every time. Good luck!

thank you, ill try and get the wire off without breaking the clips

yah, just be carefull with the clip. it gets brittle. if you try trimming, and it doesn't work, switch the whole wire to the other post on the coil. if you can't narrow it to a coil or cap, then time to pull the stator cover and check the pickup gap on both sides of the flywheel. if it's damaged, or seated incorrectly, or just gapped too much (.002"-.004" difference is kinda normal), you will have to fix the issue.

• 4 months later...

Im having the same issue. Spark on one cylinder but not the other. ive replaced both boots and plugs and still the issue.

Does this rule out that the CDI and Coil are bad? I just changed both within the last 6 months with aftermarket units OE sytle equivelents and the bike was running flawlessly until this weekend where on a run down the lake in 6th one cylinder stopped fireing. I had thought maybe i burned down one side but both plugs looked good and compression is good.

What should the spec be on the pickup on the flywheel. I read somewhere the thcikness of the cardboard of from a set of plugs but thinking it should be a little more exact then this.

Thanks in advance.

I found in the sticky above that the coil should 4,700-7,100 Ohms on the secondary side.

Is thise reading from plug cap to cap? or do i need to take the caps off to check this reading?

that would depend if you are running resistor caps instead of resistor plugs. most likely you are not but you could take them off just to make sure if you dont know.

Test with the boots off to be accurate, then test the boots for continuity to be sure they're still good. I just had some issues with my coil and my readings from both wires were 5.4K ohms and when I add the caps (had to buy new cuz old ones were toast) I get a reading of 15K ohms. Starwriter (member) has been helping me and came to the conclusion that the caps are adding 5K each. I hope that helps. It's tough to get a straight answer about all this stuff because opinions and experiences vary, but that's what I came up with.

I bought and installed new resistor caps and non resitor plugs last weekend but it didnt help the problem. ill test the resistance without the caps.

While i have it appart maybe ill "borrow" the coil from my brothers shee and try that as well.