First Rebuild - Hello all =D

corypro

Hey guys! I just want to start this post off by saying what a wonderful site this is. I've talked with a number of members already and everyone is eager to help and sourcing parts isn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. I've only been riding for one season now but I was bitten by the bug hard. I've purchased two bikes and three atv's, all Yamaha's with the exception of my KX250.

My brother and I were going to start a business venture together and buy busted up toys, fix them up and sell them. I came across a deal I couldn't pass up and went in with the fiancee instead. I ended up purchasing an 01 Banshee for $1000 a few weeks ago. It's kick start lever was stolen and I was told it was seized. After doing research and surfing these forums, I've changed my mind and I'm going to be keeping this one for myself :).

I'm quite a keener when it comes to learning things and am mechanically inclined but am more familiar with car engines and more specifically, fuel injected motors. I was hoping I could get a few pointers with this rebuild.

I finally had a chance to pull the engine out today and pulled the cover off the cylinder and found that the right cylinder's piston must have blown a ring. What options do I have here? Would my best option be to buy two new pistons, hone the head and hope I don't need to re-jet the carbs for the oversized pistons? Or is it possible just to buy a used/complete head and swap it out? Here are some pics:

IMGP5312.jpg

IMGP5311.jpg

IMGP5310.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by corypro

Hey man, glad to have ya !!!! :cheers:

I'm pretty new compared to alot of these guys but i'll tell you this much, it really all depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If that happened to mine, i would just pop the cylinders off, bore them to the next size or two up, inspect the crank and rods and if everything is good to go, then get a set of WISECO pro-lite pistons and that head looks pretty tore up, so i would either get a coolhead with some pump gas domes, i think you can go down to like 19 or 20cc, not 10% sure off hand and have nice compression and still run premium pump gas...

If you are a speed demon or just think you may want the extra power down the road so you ant to do it while its apart, have your cylinders ported and bored at the same time, I've seen stock ported cylinder banshees with stock airboxes (clamp-on filter and intake adapter of course) timing advance and pipes on pump gas put out a very respectful 60hp and be just as if not more reliable than a stock engine...trust me 60hp hitting the ground from a 350 2-stroke twin is enough to make almsot anyone white knuckled and giggling like a school kid at the pleasure...

I'll tell you this much if you have stock pipes, dont even wast time bolting them back on, ANY aftermarket pipes are a vast improvement and jetting is very simple on those little mikunis, very simple indeed, they almost have it down to a science now where if you have this set up you run these or if you have this set up and change altitude you run these, its a cakewalk man, welcome to the addiction, start savng your pennies and you will be roasting 4-pokes in no time at all, hahahaha :headbang: