silencer repacking...

jacquesraney

I ordered the packing and the silicone,,, Ive never done this,, how hard is it??? is there a vidieo out there besides a 4- poke???... will i notice a differance???

Also.. was gonna replace my rings... ive had the Shee for 4 years .. runs strong... prolly only put 50 hrs on her.. should i do a compression check and how much for new rings and cool head gasket?????.. p.s. I run vp110 leaded...

Why do you think it needs rings? Yeah do a test. Complete gasket set is about $30. Rings should be about the same. I would recomend replaceing the pin circlips if you remove them. No clue on silencer, haven't had to do it yet. I would mic bore and piston to make sure it's within tolerance or needing a bore job. Would imagine it's simular to 4poke silencer.

Edited by Larry's Shee

Silencer repacking is very easy.

1) remove your silencers

2) remove the screws in the end of the silencer

3) slide the casing off of the silencer

4) clean out any old packing material

5) wrap new packing material around pipe

6) slide casing over insulation & pipe

7) re install screws

8) re install silencers

Repacking mine made a HUGE difference in sound (for the better) it quietened down to a much nicer level.

Next time you re-pack them skip buying the stuff from FMF or anyone else and grab yourself some fiberglass insulation at your local lowes or hardware store. FMF packing is only enough to do your silencers once for about $10.... For the same money you can get 40 square feet of R-13 insulation that will let you re-pack your silencers 20 times or more!

If you're gonna use insulation, just lay it out on the shop floor, disassemble your silencer and lay the part with the pipe over the insulation, using a razor knife cut the insulation to fit between the front of the silencer and rear plate then roll it so it goes around the silencer and overlaps about two inches... Trim it off and close up the silencer as normal.

• 2 months later...

do you need to take the paper side off the "pink panther" insulation as you wrap it? what holds it tight as you wrap it on itself? Just wrap and cram, slap bam it back together.....cool shit.

Just use some masking tape to keep it tight. You don't have to remove it when installing. Check out this video for step by step.

http://www.fmfracing.com/RiderSupport/RepackingInstructions

i use the loose fill packing and a wood dowel and just push it in all the way around and then its done, makes a HUGE diffrence in sound and gave me more power too, i have never heard of anyone going to lowes and buying batt insolation, im a carpenter and i know it wont catch on fire but if you leave on the paper and use duct tape PLEASE post a vid of your flame thrower banshee :headbang: