Street legal quads in AZ here's what's required

sandtazam

Here is the state requirements

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

What equipment is required to operate my OHV in Arizona? (Some of these equipment requirements are specified in older statutes that are already part of Arizona State Law.)

For those under 18, a properly fitted and fastened U.S. DOT-approved helmet. (ARS 28-1179B)

Brakes. (ARS 28-1179A.1)

Lighted head and taillights if operated between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise. (ARS 28-1179A.2)

A muffler or noise dissipative device that prevents sound above 96 decibels. (ARS 28-1179A.3)

A United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-approved spark arrestor device. (ARS 28-1179A.4)

Eye Protection for operators of vehicles not equipped with a windshield. (ARS 28-964A)

License plate securely fastened to the rear of the OHV and clearly visible. (ARS 28-2512D.1&2)

Rearview mirror. (ARS 28-964B)

Brake light and at least one red rear reflector (if taillight does not reflect). (ARS 28-927)

Seat and footrests for the operator and passenger if vehicle is designed to carry a passenger. (ARS 28-964B)

Sand dunes and certain areas designated by a land managing agency may require a safety flag. The flag shall be at least 6 by 12 inches and attached to the OHV and flying at least 8 feet above the surface of the level ground. (28-1179A.5)

To street legal your OHV you will also need:

License plate light. (ARS 28-925C)

Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet. (ARS 28-954A)

Proper insurance. (ARS 28-4142A)

Emissions: Certain areas may also require to have your OHV emissions tested. (ARS 49-542C&D)

The method in which they have to test your noise level is almost impossible to be accurate. I'm in the audio business so I have so much info regarding sound levels that I could beat that ticket every time.

Got my insurance. Liability was a whopping $21.00 a month. Put my horn on and bleed the back brakes and I'm solid. I'm going to keep a copy of the ADOT info seen above, on the bike, just incase I do get harassed.

sweet, its soo cool that the guys in Arizona ,can rip their banshee's on the street. I wish we could do that. It would be pretty cool to ride it on the road, ...

You can make your quad street legal in any state so long as you meet all of that state's requirements. Usually lights brakes muffler and horn and not much more. All you have to do is follow the requirements for the correct class of home made vehicle. pass inspection and take that to the DMV and register it. Then when they try to pull you over you can turn off the hwy into the dunes or trail Cool Huh?

I live 50 miles north of Montreal in a small lakefront community called Esterel. We have many local 4 wheeler trails managed by the local clubs. Since just about everybody and their wife and child own a machine here, they passed some local by laws to enable us to ride on the streets as long as you're on your way either to or from the trails. Now everybody just uses them to go anywhere they have to. On those rare occasions that I get stopped by the Police all I say is that I was on my way to the trail and its all good. Its a nice loophole because I have no motorcycle license yet can ride a very powerful and fast 4 wheeler allover the place. Canada rocks