The ultimate showdown cool head vs shaved stock head

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hahahahaha, that the best you got? what happened to the random streams of vulgarity in the shout? wtf is the discussion about now, anyways? i completely forgot now. too buisy laughing my ass off all morning. i swear- theae threads are the best b-day present yet. thanks accidental ruhtard :cheers:

Meh

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daj,

I generally have a lot of respect for what you say, but it seems like you might be biased on this one.

Let me ask you this...Have you ever heard of people having problems milling their head .030"?

Have you ever heard of people having problems milling their head .020"?

Although I don't have much direct experience in these matters, I have done a LOT of research and a LOT of searching on not only this site but also other great two stroke websites like Macdizzy.com and have come up with enough evidence to put 2 and 2 together.

You speak of blaster domes and all these different setups that most people don't have.

Hell anyone who doesn't know what they are doing has the same chance of buying the wrong domes and destroying their engine as the guy who arbitrarily cuts .030" off his head without measuring the squish.

Again, I am talking about the average joe with a stockish engine that wants a good power bump.

Mill the stock head .030" an buy a .020" head gasket for if you need to run pump gas. This is a cheap alternative to a cool head.

macdizzy is a genius....just ask him.

macdizzy is a genius....just ask him.

Rick (macdizzy) seems to believe that on a tight fairly new engine the squish can be taken down to .030"

Maybe I'll ask him about the squish velocity of the stock doem design.

Good Idea, I'll ask him.

damn, i fucked up. i really shouldn't have bought a coolhead to change my setup 4 times.........ty for showing me the way..........SHUT THE FUCK UP. changing your compression 4 times is exactly enough cause to go strait to a coolhead and not fuck aroud with the stockker. stock is when you plan on setting it up once.

damn, gettin finger cramps and have to cpy-paste between the 2 threads?

Actually if you needed to set it up twice youcould buy a used head and have it rechambered by mull for under $125 total. That's 2 setups for $175 with about the same cooling as a cool head.

So even if you have it set up twice you are still ahead on cash.

I highly doubt the majority of banshee owners would ever need more than this. Do you agree?

Edited by SLORYDER

Actually if you needed to set it up twice youcould buy a used head and have it rechambered by mull for under $125 total. That's 2 setups for $175 with about the same cooling as a cool head.

So even if you have it set up twice you are still ahead on cash.

I highly doubt the majority of banshee owners would ever need more than this. Do you agree?

Dude you ask people to be civil, but you just keep stirring the pot come on dude get real. :shootself:

Dude you ask people to be civil, but you just keep stirring the pot come on dude get real. :shootself:

Dude I'm trying to be civil.

He made it sound like the stock head route was only good for one setup. That is not true you can buy another stock head have it rechambered and still be ahead of the cool head setup.

Just being fair.

Dude I'm trying to be civil.

He made it sound like the stock head route was only good for one setup. That is not true you can buy another stock head have it rechambered and still be ahead of the cool head setup.

Just being fair.

and your still running a cast aluminum head vs, a forged billit aluminum cool head.

Rick (macdizzy) seems to believe that on a tight fairly new engine the squish can be taken down to .030"

Maybe I'll ask him about the squish velocity of the stock doem design.

Good Idea, I'll ask him.

Apparently you haven't worked on enough motors as said and don't get what we're trying to point out.

If you have to ask him and clear your ideas through him...then pass them off as your discussions and thoughts, you're really not doing anything.

And although I've never met or spoken to Macdizzy, his reputation is pretty damned good.

I think he'd agree with the general statements that you're making as a bad path to go down.

Ask him if he owns a banshee..and if he has a cool head or a stocker...and if he carries around two or three stock heads and different thicknesses of head gaskets.

I look forward to his answer. Once again, you're taking one small part, one measurement...and making it sound like the be all/end all.

Honestly, I'm done with this thread. You guys have fun....the definition of insanity is doing (or saying) the same thing and expecting different results....

Apparently you haven't worked on enough motors as said and don't get what we're trying to point out.

If you have to ask him and clear your ideas through him...then pass them off as your discussions and thoughts, you're really not doing anything.

And although I've never met or spoken to Macdizzy, his reputation is pretty damned good.

I think he'd agree with the general statements that you're making as a bad path to go down.

Ask him if he owns a banshee..and if he has a cool head or a stocker...and if he carries around two or three stock heads and different thicknesses of head gaskets.

I look forward to his answer. Once again, you're taking one small part, one measurement...and making it sound like the be all/end all.

Honestly, I'm done with this thread. You guys have fun....the definition of insanity is doing (or saying) the same thing and expecting different results....

My question to Rick:

There is a small debate on another forum I frequent regarding the ability of the stock head to perform well when the squish is reduced to around .035".

Some believe that this may cause the relationship of squish band width to velocity to become all jacked up and possibly lead to engine failure even though the octane requirements dictated bu the uccr are met.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with stock banshee heads or similar that would be willing to help clear all of this up.

I realize the stock head is less than optimal when it comes to efficiency' date=' but I believe taking the squish down to .035" or so is a great alternative to buying one of these "cool heads".[/quote']

Here's what Rick (Macdizzy) had to say:

Me too! The stock head can work well for some really decent builds' date=' especially if the compression ratio is on the low-ish side for use with pump gas. As the compression ratio goes up the stock head will not have the ability to cool as well so an after market head is necessary. Here is a file for the head of a 370 LR pump gas engine. The head is milled .090", then the squish is cut back in at an angle equivalent to that of the piston dome to the proper depth. The data here is for .85 mm or about .033". The port timing is as it is because the bottom of the barrel has been cut.

post-29303-1281010206577_thumb.jpg

So here is where i stand. I believe If you are looking for a good bump and want to stay on pump gas, mill the stock head .020-.030".

If you want to switch over to race fuel, have the head re-chambered, or buy a cool head, which ever is more economical. As far as the head gaskets, I believe they have their place, if not necessarily in the scenario I portrayed.

I do not however believe that ANY advice i gave in this thread would cause someone to do something to their engine that would damage it.

So there. Macdizzy admits the stock milled head can work quite well if pump gas is your goal.

He has been working on 2 smokes for upwards of 20 years. I would not hesitate to take his advice at face value any day of the week.

:D

Edited by SLORYDER

I would take his opinion at face value any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And he pretty much nailed what we've been telling you...for one, for two...I don't think he's going to agree with you on just milling off .035 and using different thickness base gaskets to achieve squish.

I do feel advice you've given in this thread, in it's own partial nature, could and would damage an engine.

He is right, for pump gas it'll work just fine taking a little off.

He flat out said they mill theirs .090 AND rework the chamber/squish band.

Which...is what we've been saying.

Again...I don't see you asking him or him backing up your statement of just taking off .035 and using different base gaskets.

I believe that would fall under his advice for higher compression motors?