My Stock Stroke Drag Bike Build

ugottalovewagner

Here is the start of my first drag bike. I just finished building the motor mounts and installed the chromoly 3 inch forward A-Arms. So far i have gotten everything for free except the A-Arms so MY build total is $200 so far. Im Gonna be building a one piece Hood out of the stock pieces and alot of plastic welding and cutting. Im still looking for a swingarm, but i plan to go with a +10 and a blaster rear axle. I put fat bars off an old dirtbike i had on it. Ill be building the motor this winter and getting everything powdercoated and looking pretty. Any input would be great, I plan on running stock cylinders with a drag port and stock stroke. Some 35mm carbs and VF3 reeds. Ill try to update it as i make changes. MY total budget is gonna be $3000

img5044r.jpg

First question is do you have the equipment at your disposal to make chassis parts and weld?

Lighten that fat pig up first...if you have chassis building experience, cut it up and clean it up.

3K is a decent starting budget. Get the porting done, get an override trans and a lockup clutch.

That's your starting point, then spend the rest of the money on gearing and tires.

I lightened the frame up quite a bit, I cut off every unneeded bracket. I dont want to take too much more off because i still plan to dune this bike once in a while. my biggest questionn right now is what carbs and pipes to get. I want something thats gonna go well with a small bore bike. I was thinking 35mm pwk's and a set of cpi small bore drag pipes or imframes, any thoughts?

This is going to be one opened ended answer..but I'm going to try my best...LOL.

You have to decide if you want a drag bike you can dune or a dune bike you can drag.

You can't have both. One or the other has to prevail.

And based on that choice...you have to make sacrifices towards the other.

No such thing as an all in one banshee...or other bike for that matter...LOL.

Yeah i understand, To be honest im building this as kind of a build-off/grudge match with my cousin and we are both on a budget so we set out a few rules which are

1. Stock Cylinders

2. Stock Stroke

3. No Override trannys

4. No Alcohol

Basically anything else is open. My only realy goal is to beat him. I should have put that sooner but those are my guidelines to build by. He is running a stock chassis that isnt lightened and will probably have a very similar motor to mine

Yeah i understand, To be honest im building this as kind of a build-off/grudge match with my cousin and we are both on a budget so we set out a few rules which are

1. Stock Cylinders

2. Stock Stroke

3. No Override trannys

4. No Alcohol

Basically anything else is open. My only realy goal is to beat him. I should have put that sooner but those are my guidelines to build by. He is running a stock chassis that isnt lightened and will probably have a very similar motor to mine

Drag bike without an override is pointless IMO. If they are truly going to be drag bikes, an override is almost necessary to get smooth consistent shifts.

Yeah I understand that, I will probably eventually put one in, But to me it will be more of a challenge to try to turn in good times with the stock tranny.

Agreed. I went 4.60 on a 421 cub with stock tranny. Didn't miss a shift all weekend, but I'm going override just for ease, and they're badass to ride.

Talk to HJR...they do a tranny mod which is NOT an override but it does make things easier to shift....You still use the clutch but it will shift better.

Porting, compression, timing and getting the power to the ground is where you'll need to concentrate.

I know that's general...but it's a starting point.