Things to look for...

hey, I have been browsing the site here for a while now and have learned quite a bit about banshees, I have also been trying to sell the bike I had to free up some cash and space in the garage so I could get myself a shee. Sold my bike today so I have been looking around and have found 3 or 4 banshees in my price range that im gonna go look at soon. I will be taking a compression tester with me so what should the compression be? im guessing somewhere around 120 psi would be good? the bikes that im going to look at are all around 2000 to 2004. All are piped and one has cool head and boost bottle but that's it for mods. also do you check with both plugs out and throttle wide open or does it really matter? what would be an acceptable difference in psi between both cylinders? Also is there anything really banshee specific that I should look for when I go to check them out? I am not a stranger to atvs and have done some work on 2 and 4 stroke bikes so I know the basics.

Thanks

hey, I have been browsing the site here for a while now and have learned quite a bit about banshees, I have also been trying to sell the bike I had to free up some cash and space in the garage so I could get myself a shee. Sold my bike today so I have been looking around and have found 3 or 4 banshees in my price range that im gonna go look at soon. I will be taking a compression tester with me so what should the compression be? im guessing somewhere around 120 psi would be good? the bikes that im going to look at are all around 2000 to 2004. All are piped and one has cool head and boost bottle but that's it for mods. also do you check with both plugs out and throttle wide open or does it really matter? what would be an acceptable difference in psi between both cylinders? Also is there anything really banshee specific that I should look for when I go to check them out? I am not a stranger to atvs and have done some work on 2 and 4 stroke bikes so I know the basics.

Thanks

Check the compression after you ride them!!!! MAke sure your not getting shafted by them pouring oil in the top and sealing it just for your test prior to ypur arrival............Check each side I would say look for 120-130 range is fine for stock......They should be within 5 psi of each other......anymore than 10-15 difference could be an issue or time for a top end. Just make sure the Crank is not growling in need of bearings.....they are pretty simple man good luck........you will want to do a lot to the bike so get ready!!!!

And WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION

Edited by 12 0 Clock P I M P

Thanks

What's up Braker. Welcome to HQ.

Well taking a comp tester is the best idea, when checking compression it will let you know how healthy the motor is. Take your time and eventually you will end up with the right bike for the best buck. When checking compression you can take one plug out at a time if you want. and YES throttle has to be wide open when you do this procedure. Things to look for is any leaks, how a engine sounds at idle, any cracks or bends in the frame, Check the ball joint, steering make sure it's smooth without any blown out ball joints and make sure there is no grinds. Check the shocks make sure theres good compression of the springs. Stock shocks on a shee suck anyway but something to look for. On the shee with a cool head, if they say it has domes for better compression it has to be a compression higher than those with out cool head. So i would reccomend in checking those with original heads to get a base line. Your right on that though, anything under 100psi will need a new top end. Depending on your elevation the compression test results may vary. But anything over 115 or 120 is acceptable. Im running 120 on stock head and runs like a top. Don't make a impulsive buy, be smart look for the smallest thing such as a crack in the frame. Ask a lot of questions, and see how the owner replies to your questions. I hope this helps