adjusting the chain.

hello everyone again. so i changed my chain and sprockets and i got a 41 tooth rear sprocket so i had to adjust the chain to make the chain work. now the problem is that i adjust the chain the way my haynes manual says. which consists of jacking the wheeler up, and making sure there is roughly .5-.75" of slack measured in the chain. so when i get that and sit on the machine, the chain is way too tight. so like a dumbass i took it down the driveway and when i got back to the top it was loose. so it appears to me that the pinch bolts moved enough to make the chain have some slack. so i re-adjusted and re tightened everything(tighter than before) and the same thing happened, but not as bad. also how accurate are you supposed to get with those adjusters, after fumbling with it for and hour (my first time ever with this awesome setup...) i put a tape measure on the carrier and measured, they are different by a heavy 1/16". I guess i didnt learn nothing because i was unable to tell which way moved the adjuster in and out. someone please help me!!!

there is no need to jack the bike up. leave it sitting on the tires. here are the steps you will want to take..

1. loosen the two main carrier bolts. they are the long bolts that run from side to side on the carrier.

2. loosen the adjusters. these are the ones that are down below. usually a 10mm adjuster with a 12mm stop nut.

3. screwing the adjuster in tightens the chain. screwing the adjuster out loosens it.

4. set it so that the chain has about 1-1.5" of slack with no weight on the bike.

5. tighten down the 12mm stop nuts on the adjusters.

6. tighten the two long carrier bolts.

7. go ride.

i do almost the same, but instead of doing the slack method i take a tiedown and run it from the grab bar to the carrier. sit on the rear while strapping the bike suspension as far as you can. udjust the chain until there is 0 slack and then tighten it all down.