DIY Water Temp Gauge

First I bought a Mechanical Water Temp Gauge Kit 2 Inch from ebay for $10.50 shipped from http://stores.ebay.c...-Testing-Center

Then I went to tru-value and bought the following (1) 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 Tee (1) 1/2 x 3/8 bushing (2) 3/4 poly barb fittings and (2) 11/16 x 1 1/4 ss clamps for a total of $10.17 you can get it cheaper any where else I'm sure $1.50 a clamp is a little high.

05-18-10_1352.jpg

05-18-10_1351.jpg

The Bushing is needed to keep the gauge from restricting the flow

05-18-10_1401.jpg

I cut about four inches out of the top hose

05-18-10_1223.jpg

I used a 2" hole saw and cut the fender

05-18-10_1436.jpg

05-18-10_1447.jpg

I filled the hole for the back lite with silicone

Took about a hour of screwing around

the psi on that cap will be to high... stock is 1.1... that is 16psi... take it from a guy who tryed it.. will find other spot to ..ummm take a load off u can say... lol... if i could get one wit stock psi settings.. id be all over it..

DiSkOe*1

bong2.gif

the psi on that cap will be to high... stock is 1.1... that is 16psi... take it from a guy who tryed it.. will find other spot to ..ummm take a load off u can say... lol... if i could get one wit stock psi settings.. id be all over it..

DiSkOe*1

bong2.gif

1. 1.1bar=16psi.

2. You can see the gauge with the radiator cover on still.

3. I have ran one for about 2 years now.

So I think you guys are the ones smoking a bong. :shootself:

Real nice if I wanted to take off my front cover off to check temp.

Or if you want to take your front fenders off you have to drain the radiator.

I went through 3 mechanical and 1 electric water temp gauges. 1 Equus, no name brand, and 1 autometer. All three faild. The vibration would tear them up. They were all 2 1/16 in mechanical non liquid filled. a liquid filled gauge is what you need, but you can only get a liquid filled gauge in 2 5/8 in. It was to big for my taste. I didn want my banshee looking like a 80's honda civic with a 5" tach.

Here is my electric one that failed.

100_2157.jpg

Mechanical Equus

Banshee_10.jpg

100_1114.jpg

• 2 years later...

Stupid question I'm sure - but it looks to me like if the coolant level's not all the way up (which would be a likely cause of overheating) it wouldn't reach these rad cap temp gauges, which strikes me as a serious flaw in design. Am i missing something?

Heat rises, still should read the internal temp of the radiator. I personally use a trailtech vapor for my coolant temperatures, along with other features such as RPM's, speed, distance, etc.