*NEW* ATVDRA Asphalt Class "Don't Panic"

ATVDRA

For all of the beginner stage racers here you go! We have designed a class that will give everyone a reason to get to the track and out of the pitts. Don't Panic will be the biggest hit to ATV Asphalt Drag Racing you have seen. This will be a FLAGMAN Race with times not posted to the public. I have attched all of the information regarding the new class and will gladly answer any questions you have. We hope to see you all at Rockingham Dragway on June 12th & 13th next month!!!!!

Here's the Don't Panic Racer's Guidelines (Latest Revisions).

This is the latest revision of the Don't Panic Guidelines.

DON’T PANIC GUIDELINES

CLASS DESCRIPTION

The Don’t Panic Class is designed for any Quad to be competitive. The class will be run with an open elapsed time (ET) with no times shown. There will be a no sandbag time for all competitors. Racers will be spotted/positioned based off their quickest qualifying time. This is a chance for any quad to come out and have an equal chance of winning. Plus, you have a chance to side bet and possibly win some extra cash. So, Don’t Panic and come out and have some fun.

RACE PROCEDURES

Qualifying: We will use random pairings using a .400 Pro light. Both quads will qualify using the traditional staging lights. (2) Qualifying runs; one in left and right lanes. Times will not be posted during this class. *Note*, you nee to run your quad all out. It will catch up to you in the rounds of racing if you do not.

No Sandbag Time: This is one of the key points in this race! The “No Sandbag Time” is equal and unknown for all racers. It can change based on ATVDRA’s discretion.. The time will be quicker than your quickest qualifying run. Example: Don’t Panic’s quickest qualifying pass is 5.90 and Candy’s quickest run is 5.70; using an equal and known “No Sandbag Time” for this example: .05. Don’t Panic can run no faster than 5.85 and Candy can run no faster than 5.65. If they both run faster; the one that’s closer to the “No Sandbag Time” will win.

Ladder/Pairings: The ladder will be created for the best race possible. What we are trying to avoid is spotting out a slower quad past the 60’ mark. Past that mark there are pro’s and con’s for both racers. It could happen, but we will take every step to try and avoid it.

The ladder will be posted at the base of the tower. You are responsible each round, to know and pair up with your opponent. This needs to happen at the back of the staging lanes when your class is called. Lane choice will be determined by a coin flip if needed. There will be an official in the lanes to assist you and please follow their directions.

The Spot/Quad Positioning: The spot is based off the Racers quickest time in qualifying. The slower opponent in the round will be spotted out an appropriate distance. This is based off a math formula to give an equal chance of winning for both Racers. The spot will change each round depending on the Racers quickest qualifying run.

ATVDRA will mark with a cone and position the slower quads spot on the track The faster quad will use the normal staging beams for their position.

Flag Person: The flag person will start the race after the quads are positioned. The flag person will point the flags to the slower quad 1st and then to the faster quad. He/She will then slowly raise flags above their head and pause (pause time will vary). The race will start at the 1st downward movement of the flags.

Protest & Fee: The only thing a racer can protest is a jump start. Protest money if the protester loses, will be rolled into the pot for payouts. The fee will be $250 and needs to be paid with cash, when protest is made. The protest must be made no later than 15 minutes after the final pair of quads run in that round. ATVDRA’s ruling is final.

Things Not Allowed: Head turning and getting out of the throttle are means for disqualification. We understand there could be safety reason for getting out of the throttle. If the problem is serious, please pull to the side and stop in a safe manner. Any other conditions will be determined at ATVDRA’s discretion.

Things Encouraged: Side betting/gambling between Racers is encouraged before each round of racing. Please respect your opponent’s wishes if he/she says “No”. Also, have it done before the start of the round. Race officials will not wait. You will be disqualified if you are not ready to come to the line when called. ATVDRA will be happy to hold the money if needed.

Edited by ATVDRA

Things Not Allowed: Head turning and getting out of the throttle are means for disqualification. We understand there could be safety reason for getting out of the throttle. If the problem is serious, please pull to the side and stop in a safe manner. Any other conditions will be determined at ATVDRA’s discretion.

I'm going to actually commend you on this...and wish you luck.

As a pretty experienced racer, sand bagging and letting out are part of bracket/index racing, always will be.

I wish you luck sticking to these rules of no looking over/back and letting out of the throttle...

Learning to bag and let out in brackets is every bit as critical as tuning the bike and a good start...

You can tell by watching the runs and looking at slips who is bagging...

Good luck...sounds interesting.

I'm going to actually commend you on this...and wish you luck.

As a pretty experienced racer, sand bagging and letting out are part of bracket/index racing, always will be.

I wish you luck sticking to these rules of no looking over/back and letting out of the throttle...

Learning to bag and let out in brackets is every bit as critical as tuning the bike and a good start...

You can tell by watching the runs and looking at slips who is bagging...

Good luck...sounds interesting.

Thanks for the compliment, I wrote the guidelines and Skip has to enforce them. We wanted a class that was totally different than any other. Plus we wanted it to be competitive for any quad racers budget.

This is not a bracket or index race, it's a Don't Panic race. It's a new game, nothing like I've seen in my 30+ years of drag racing!

30+ years? Damn you're an old fossil....

LOL...

J/K. I like the idea...like any radical idea, it will have it's growing pains and complaints.

However, the idea is sound in my opinion...

If you guys aren't showing times and having someone match up pairings based on ETs run, and you can't run .05 faster than your best run, it is a form of bracket racing or index racing...in my opinion, but I still support the idea.

30+ years? Damn you're an old fossil....

LOL...

J/K. I like the idea...like any radical idea, it will have it's growing pains and complaints.

However, the idea is sound in my opinion...

If you guys aren't showing times and having someone match up pairings based on ETs run, and you can't run .05 faster than your best run, it is a form of bracket racing or index racing...in my opinion, but I still support the idea.

You miss interpreted the .05 than your best run. That was used for an example. It can and will change, based on different things. The time will be unknown/equal for all during that round.

Thanks for providing input to the class!

Bryan

While I understand the .05 is not set in stone, if you set ANY kind of limit on how fast someone can run, it is no longer truly heads up...that's my point.

Anytime you take the ET 100% out of the racers hands by handicapping or "capping" how fast they can go, it's a form of bracket or index....

If you can breakout at all, it's not heads up and it's considered bracket or index, regardless of if it's by .001 or .5.

Because of this, it's not "true heads up". Again Bryan, I'm applauding you with what you're doing...but to say it's not a form of bracket or index racing is just the wrong terminology in my opinion...

"No Sandbag Time: This is one of the key points in this race! The “No Sandbag Time” is equal and unknown for all racers. It can change based on ATVDRA’s discretion.. The time will be quicker than your quickest qualifying run. Example: Don’t Panic’s quickest qualifying pass is 5.90 and Candy’s quickest run is 5.70; using an equal and known “No Sandbag Time” for this example: .05. Don’t Panic can run no faster than 5.85 and Candy can run no faster than 5.65. If they both run faster; the one that’s closer to the “No Sandbag Time” will win.

Ladder/Pairings: The ladder will be created for the best race possible. What we are trying to avoid is spotting out a slower quad past the 60’ mark. Past that mark there are pro’s and con’s for both racers. It could happen, but we will take every step to try and avoid it."

While I understand the .05 is not set in stone, if you set ANY kind of limit on how fast someone can run, it is no longer truly heads up...that's my point.

Anytime you take the ET 100% out of the racers hands by handicapping or "capping" how fast they can go, it's a form of bracket or index....

If you can breakout at all, it's not heads up and it's considered bracket or index, regardless of if it's by .001 or .5.

Because of this, it's not "true heads up". Again Bryan, I'm applauding you with what you're doing...but to say it's not a form of bracket or index racing is just the wrong terminology in my opinion...

"No Sandbag Time: This is one of the key points in this race! The “No Sandbag Time” is equal and unknown for all racers. It can change based on ATVDRA’s discretion.. The time will be quicker than your quickest qualifying run. Example: Don’t Panic’s quickest qualifying pass is 5.90 and Candy’s quickest run is 5.70; using an equal and known “No Sandbag Time” for this example: .05. Don’t Panic can run no faster than 5.85 and Candy can run no faster than 5.65. If they both run faster; the one that’s closer to the “No Sandbag Time” will win.

Ladder/Pairings: The ladder will be created for the best race possible. What we are trying to avoid is spotting out a slower quad past the 60’ mark. Past that mark there are pro’s and con’s for both racers. It could happen, but we will take every step to try and avoid it."

Call it what you want, but there's nothing out there like it. It will be pretty hard to bracket/index without looking back or getting out of the throttle. As for scrubbing ET with the brakes. I have a fix for that too, but I'm fighting with Skip over that one. I would like to have an equal/unknown "Scrub Time" added.

I agree on all points... I'll be interested to hear how the (brake check) works for you as well and how to prevent it.

I'm not talking about the driver/rider...I'm talking about the person going over the slips and pairing them up together...

I agree on all points... I'll be interested to hear how the (brake check) works for you as well and how to prevent it.

I'm not talking about the driver/rider...I'm talking about the person going over the slips and pairing them up together...

I have won the battle. Adding in a "No Scrub Time", this will keep people from using their brakes. The pairing are based off the their qualifying times. Yes, I understand your point of going over the slips. We are talking about entry limit for the 1st year. This will be a track personel intensive class.

Edited by SlowerThanYou

I see your point, please feel free to give us your oppinions on a better term regarding this matter or maybe even ideas and thoughts about changes. This door will not be closed until it is perfected. Though the race is near I would gladly make the needed changed if it would better the class. I want to this to be known as a heads up class. We welcome everyones input.

Edited by ATVDRA

Are you guys going to stagger the tree?

I understand you're going to pair them up in ladder, but sooner or later the slower bikes are racing the faster bikes...

Or do you have pretty solid cc or other class structure for that?

I guess I need to rewrite the guidelines or you need to read them again. This is good questioning and I appreciate it.

The tree is not used for eliminations and the faster vehicle uses the staging beams. The slower vehicle gets spotted out 30' for example. The reason for laddering the round for the best race. We don't want the slower vehicle to be out too far on the track. There are pros and cons for both racers.

We don't want a cc or class structure for this class. Sorry Skip you can't bill this as a "heads up" class. This is a "Don't Panic" class and that's it, take it or leave it.

as a very seasoned drag racer, i would like to know how exact your formula is on the set-out distance.. given your rules on going to fast and also scrubbing speed it would have to be really exact..with most good bracket races won by a few inches, i think if your formula for the slower bikes set out is not within an inch or two that point alone will determin the winner not the riders or the times..

just something i was wondering, love the idea

chris

as a very seasoned drag racer, i would like to know how exact your formula is on the set-out distance.. given your rules on going to fast and also scrubbing speed it would have to be really exact..with most good bracket races won by a few inches, i think if your formula for the slower bikes set out is not within an inch or two that point alone will determin the winner not the riders or the times..

just something i was wondering, love the idea

chris

I can't provide the exact formula. It was done by a Engineer that has racing experience. It was put on an excel spreadsheet.

I guess I need to look at the Crew Chief Pro software again. I'm sure it provides the same data. I just know what it should or shouldn't look like on the track. I have won a few big money bracket races.