Winchester Bay - New Banshee Hill?

Ducman

I dont cut new trails in the OR dunes. In the woods/mountains in NorCal it is a very big no no. But I will admit, the funnest hill climbs and trails at Winchester are the pioneered trails like the one parallel to banshee hill I mentioned. Most of the hill climbs and trails were made 10-20 years ago. I think the forest service patrols and looks for people blazing new trails which is why I was surprised to see a new hill climb. One thing I dont understand about Winchester though is that there is at least 2-3x more open dune area that was closed off a long time ago. It seams like there would be less pressure on the hill climbs and trails if they were to open this area and the beach.

I can't agree with you more. those are the fun trails but when the forest service starts complaining about stuff you have to listen because they are in charge and can cut it off. to answer the question about if I know how banshee hill was started ya I do and that was a different time. eventually you will figure it out.

I was at Winchester Bay last week, it had been 1 year since I had ridden there. There was a new Banshee Hill, or at least new to me, about 100 ft to the North of the old banshee hill. When the heck did this hill climb get made? It was alot like the "side shute" to banshee hill. It was a 2 wheel rut steep and windy hill climb through the trees. Obsticles were not that bad. I had 21" paddles and was just barely able to keep from getting high centered on the center burm between the ruts. I didn't see many others able to climb it except one guy on a raptor 700 with 22's seemed to own the hill every time. It was one of the funnest hill climbs of all time! I sooo kick myself for not getting a helmet cam! The only problem is that it would over heat my shee like a mofo due to all 1rst gear and such a long hill climb, but still worth it! On a side note the old side schute was a heck of a lot of fun too and rideable from bottom to top, no major obsticles.

Just had to share.

My nephew found this 2 years ago when we did a week in Half Moon Bay. It was much more difficult then it was 3 months ago when we were down there for a week. My bike got pretty warm trying to get up it as well and I am fairly certain I went through half of my clutch in the 20+ tries before I finally made it. Last time we were there I made it up first try.

• 3 months later...

It's not cutting in a new trail if it is in bounds. It was sand before the USFS planted the invasive european grass. We are doing the dunes a favor by riding the overgrown areas. As far as being a different time, yeah it was a better time, now everyone is so brainwashed with planet earth stuff. The miniscule areas that we can actually ride are a drop in the bucket to the total land area in the US. Never give up or back down to the USFS or government trying to tell us what to do with OUR land. Like the Blue Ribbon Coalition motto says '...for the people not from the people'

2jug

It's not cutting in a new trail if it is in bounds. It was sand before the USFS planted the invasive european grass. We are doing the dunes a favor by riding the overgrown areas. As far as being a different time, yeah it was a better time, now everyone is so brainwashed with planet earth stuff. The miniscule areas that we can actually ride are a drop in the bucket to the total land area in the US. Never give up or back down to the USFS or government trying to tell us what to do with OUR land. Like the Blue Ribbon Coalition motto says '...for the people not from the people'

2jug

can i get a hallelujah smiley_16-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i've heard those dunes to the south are closed thanks to the sierra club. They wanted a place for hiking & horse back riding.The didn't like all the noise.

So I've heard --

The tree shot about 150-200 yards north on banshee hill has been there for about 2 years. It goes from the bottom all the way to the top. There is also alot of nice similiar tree shots out by the resivor that looks out at the lake across hwy 101. Those tree shots go all the way down to Hwy101 but not many people know about them because there isn't usally to many tracks going down there, especisally in the winter or early spring when the sand is super steap and saturated due the the winter months but their there. Really fun and probably some of the most challenging on the oregon coast, need some tire spin or a swingarm for sure. Check them out next time your there!

The tree shot about 150-200 yards north on banshee hill has been there for about 2 years. It goes from the bottom all the way to the top. There is also alot of nice similiar tree shots out by the resivor that looks out at the lake across hwy 101. Those tree shots go all the way down to Hwy101 but not many people know about them because there isn't usally to many tracks going down there, especisally in the winter or early spring when the sand is super steap and saturated due the the winter months but their there. Really fun and probably some of the most challenging on the oregon coast, need some tire spin or a swingarm for sure. Check them out next time your there!

Thanks, I never seem to get as much time as I'd like to go exploring. I'll have to look next time, I have never found any that go all the way down to the Hwy.