New here and to banshees in general

Did some searching this past weekend and found this forum, hopefully you guys can help me out. This is my first fourwheeler so if I'm missing some of the obvious please excuse me....heres a pic of it for reference

DSCF2498.jpg

I'm the third owner of this 04, pretty much unmolested banshee. I bought it from a friend of mine that barely used it, and I have owned it for a little over a year now, but due to me moving and a bunch of other things, I have no had much seat time on the thing. There is a small sandpit across the street from me that I put around in every once in a while and the few hours I have ridden it, it started great and was trouble free. I took back home to NY over thanksgiving to go riding up north with a friend...we drove 1.5hrs to the spot we were going to ride....unloaded the banshee...and within a few minutes all of a sudden a loud noise developed. As soon as I pulled the clutch lever in the noise would go away. I turned the machine off quickly, ran to the napa that luckily was across the street and filled the case back up to where it should be with some diesel oil to see if the noise would go away. I started it right back up, kicked it in gear and as I let the clutch lever out the started moving forward but the noise was also still there. The noise was very much like a wearing/whining type noise.

Jump to this past weekend...I finally got a chance to look at it (its been winter here for a while). I figrued it might be clutch related so pulled the cover off and checked out the clutch plates and they "looked" fine. NOt sure where to go from here and am looking for some input...

Also while i have you guys here...can someone give me any important things to check or know about with a banshee? ie common upgrades or issues with these things? Thanks for the help guys!

Since the noise goes away when you pull the clutch, it is probably transmission related in the inner cases. Every thing under the clutch cover is spinning whenever the engine is running, except the kickstarter gear. So you are probably going to need to split the cases, but before you do, inspect all the gears and bearings in the clutch area, the water pump and look for any extra parts laying in there, or snap rings missing.

It's called "clutch chatter." Don't worry about it. Never heard of putting diesel in the crank case, though. Don't know what that can do the the clutch fibers :confused:

Clutch Chatter? Not sure if I am describing the noise correctly...this is pretty damn loud this noise, almost like a screeching...I cant imagine this being normal...especially since it wasnt doing it before. I was told by the guy at napa (not saying hes an expert) that regular motor oil would be bad for the clutch plates...however diesel oil is often used in gear cases ...I was in the middle of no where at that time and just wanted to see if the noise would go away if I filled it back up to a normal level...it didnt. What would you recommend putting back in there?

I run (bellray gearsaver) oil with no problems.The next thing you want to do is go and buy yourself a Clymers manual best 30 bucks you'll spend. And how low was the oil when you added more? it might be possiable that the friction plates were not getting enough oil causing them to run dry, (wet clutch) or poor oil vescosity. check you friction plates, clutch springs are not broke, warped plates. But I would for sure change your oil bellray, oa even ATF some people on here run with it with no problems. you can run with 10w-30 motor oil. Good luck and welcome to the site.

Edited by bonerific250

Is there a way for you to start it up and send a video or something that records noise? I am strictly drag racing and i run 10w30 and ATF mixed in my cases and may only change my oil twice a season and yet to smoke a clutch. The mixture i use is 1 quart of each. If you can send some kind of recording or video send it to onelowz24@yahoo.com. Hope you get this figured out.

I am willing to bet that noise is from the clutch running dry. I had it happen to me once. The seal behind my front sprocket opened up and puked oil everywhere. Sounded like the bike was screaming at me to stop. So I did haha.

I'm new to the banshee, but after taking it apart...the noise that it was making does sound like something that a clutch that ran dry would make. Where should I go to get new clutch plates? Should I get the basket as well?

I'm not sure where the oil ended up going that was in there...it sits in my garage in the same spot...never a drop underneath it. Once I get the problem fixed I can clean everything up and keep an eye for anything leaking.

Anything else I should check for as preventative maintenance? Thanks guys!

I'm new to the banshee, but after taking it apart...the noise that it was making does sound like something that a clutch that ran dry would make. Where should I go to get new clutch plates? Should I get the basket as well?

I'm not sure where the oil ended up going that was in there...it sits in my garage in the same spot...never a drop underneath it. Once I get the problem fixed I can clean everything up and keep an eye for anything leaking.

Anything else I should check for as preventative maintenance? Thanks guys!

I'm going to be a smart ass and say "check the fluid levels before starting" Also, hit the grease zerks every so often, and don't grease the brake bleeders.

Welcome to Banshee HQ and enjoy your Banshee. They are a blast.

I'm going to be a smart ass and say "check the fluid levels before starting" Also, hit the grease zerks every so often, and don't grease the brake bleeders.

Welcome to Banshee HQ and enjoy your Banshee. They are a blast.

I greased everything and checked the fluid levels before I put in my truck to make the 3hr ride to NY....drove it for about 5 minutes and my parents house...let it sit over night...and took it further north to ride...which is when I had the issues. I will now check it EVERY time I ride

Here are some pics of the clutches for reference...probably cant tell anything by them anyways. Been talking to another guy here on the forums having the same issue...he thinks it the clutch on his so I'm hoping mine will be fixed with that too.

DSC_9598.jpg

DSC_9597.jpg

DSC_9596.jpg

DSC_9600.jpg