i wana see colored pipes

00sheerzr

ive been wanted to powder coat my pipes for quite some time now but im not sure what color, everyone has chrome and black can go on anything but i would like to see some pictures of peoples pipes that are colored

Not necessarily recommended but I did mine in blue. I've gotten lucky that the blue hasn't burned off, probably because I faded it into high temp black near the hottest part of the pipes. They don't have many selections for colors in high temp, only black, silver, and grey for the most part.

You can see mine in my sig below.

i got a few more questions , what does it cost to get a set of expansion chamber coated, my local guy wants me to bring them down and i wana know if im getting ripped off when he gives me an estimate , do you think a regular non high heat powder will come off near the exhaust port side of the pipe??

• 1 month later...

Non hi-temp powder doesn't hold up well at all. I took three trips on my pipes and they are worse then before I PC'd them when they were just painted with high temp paint. Just flakes off. I heard ceramic coating is the way to go for anything that is going to be put through temps as hot as our pipes get.

ya, i got bored and thought i would try the red hi temp anodized effect spray paint... bad idea. looked bad ass, until it got hot. now i'm stuck with burnt orange/red/brown/black/poop colored pipes. haven't tried to clean them off, but i hope sand blasting gets it all off. pretty much just decided i'll get new pipes i guess.

you can kind of see them in this pic.

gallery_32092_1263_15909.jpg

lol, yah, you guys really want just ceramic coatings. not sure on the selection more than clear, white, "chrome" and mabey some basic colors, but it's the same coating they use for headders, and it is pretty much all ceramic content that is being applied. we have a local place here in ak, but the big difference is that once you properly cure it fully, it doesn't discolor at all, plus the insulating effect. the pipes in my sig pic are actually vht coating from the parts store in an aerosol can. i bake cycled it 4-5 times to cure it. that was one of the verry first things i did when i got the bike, and they are still platinum white all the way to the cylinders

AKheathen

All that VHT stuff says you need to bake it at 600 and then 1000 degrees for the last two cycles. I don't know about you but I don't have access to an industrial oven to heat them up.

How did you cure them?

Edited by Doddy

by hand, lol.....i used a mapp gas torch and hung them in the garage.....i put the flame to the inside moving from one hoe to the other to keep things even. you can watch and smell the curing as it happens, but have to be carefull not to overheat it too soon.......biggest problem i saw with vht, is that it is really thin when you spray it, and can run easy, so verry many light coats. i think 1 can just barely squeezed out the 2 pipes

AKheathen

All that VHT stuff says you need to bake it at 600 and then 1000 degrees for the last two cycles. I don't know about you but I don't have access to an industrial oven to heat them up.

How did you cure them?

giver her lots of light coats, then throw them on the shee and run them, never had any problems doing that on the quads and on headers for the vehicles, works great!

Aks ideas a good one to, never tried it myself but painting them and running them seems to work fine.

Cody