FIRST time pulling motor!

BigMatt

hey guys,

I want to pull my motor for some cleaning and paint, I have never done this before so I have a few questions. In whitch order is it best to remove the engine mounts? is there any tricks that will help me? I was looking at repair manuals on ebay for spec's there was a CD version and then there are paper backs what do you guys use? also I have aftermarket radiator hose's(blue) while the motor is out, I would like to replace the short hose coming from the water impeller to the head(there is a little wear to it), do you guys know where I can find this hose? doe's anyone make them in blue? also the smaller hose from the top of head to the top of the radiator, where can I find this and does anyone make these in blue? can any one tell me the I.D. of this small hose? I looked at Helix water and oil hose but there web site said not to use on coolant lines.

Its very easy

Drain the anti freeze

Disconnect the electric/spark plug boots

remove carbs/airbox

Engine will be removed from the stator side, left side if sitting on the bike

remove foot peg

remove the engine mounts and pull it out

I believe you have to take the spark plugs out also, not positive

If you are removing plastics and gas tank for the cleaning, do that first, with the gas tank out it will make it easier on you.

But it can be done while the tank is still on the bike.

Im may have missed something, just read the manual once or twice and it will be real easy for you.

Good luck

Actually come to think of it, the manual may say to remove from the right side of the bike bc of the fuel valve, But i pulled my motor yesterday and took it out from the left side. So dont quote me on that, read over the manual

Edited by wacko2000

Its a hole lot easier to remove then a bigger 4-stroke motor. Those MF's are heavy!!! The banshee motor is nice and light. You will also see how really the frame is light as well without the motor.

X2 I thought i would need help the first time i pulled my motor, when it was loose i could not believe how light these things are standing alone. The frame is hella light too. 4 strokes another hand are a bit heavier. Im thinking twice removing a engine from my girls KFX 400. F*** that :bolt:

i agree the clymers is the best 30 bucks you'll ever spend, but you shouldnt need it to just remove the motor, if your gonna open the motor than get one. i actaully took my motor out from the clutch side it dont really matter though it will come out either side, and it dont matter in what order you remove the motor mounts. just take off the footpeg for whatever side you want to take it out undo the motor mounts and take it out, of course unconect the wires going to the stator and the top caps on the carbs and a couple hoses obviosly its really no big deal at all, if ya run into a problem post it and you'll get an answer pretty quick, i always did this place is awesome and the people here love to help eachother out :cheers:

• 6 years later...

I'm bumping this old thread because I am thinking of doing the same thing. I also want a shop to inspect the bottom end and go through the top end as my compression is low. Stupid question of the day: if the shop is going through the engine, are they wanting me to roll it in intact with the whole bike or are they good with me just delivering the block? Like the OP, with the engine out, I wanted to go through and clean up the frame and plastic etc. I do have the Clymer manual but most of it is well beyond my experience but is still very helpful with the minor maintenance.

Thanks for the input. I haven't checked with this sites sponsors yet but locally I am finding out it is difficult to find a shop (dealers) that will work on anything older than a 2000. Mine is a stock '97 banshee and I guess many shops don't want to touch it.

Thanks for the input Bigweave. At the age of 52, family of 5, a boat, a utility trailer, a toy hauler, a jeep, truck and 2 passenger cars, 2 kayaks, 4 ATV's, a jet ski, 2 dogs.........I have to choose my time wisely on certain priorities. Basic maintenance I can handle just barely as time allows, the rest I leave to experts.

Thanks for the input Bigweave. At the age of 52, family of 5, a boat, a utility trailer, a toy hauler, a jeep, truck and 2 passenger cars, 2 kayaks, 4 ATV's, a jet ski, 2 dogs.........I have to choose my time wisely on certain priorities. Basic maintenance I can handle just barely as time allows, the rest I leave to experts.

Box the motor up and send it to a cite sponsor. They can inspect everything then send it back good to go.