In need of some professional advise

jmoore

Well, after the news of a decent tax return coming my way, I am thinking of getting some porting done. My banshee is now 5 yrs old. However, I wouldn't consider it to have alot of hours on it. I have to trailer to ride and I maybe get out a dozen times riding a year I would guess on average if that. My compression is still very solid on both cylinders. The thought of puttng in a new top end might stop me from the idea because of the extra cost. I guess my question would be is it worth getting porting without doing a new topend at this point? Also, I am not about to split my cases to get the crank welded. I don't have the experience to go that far yet. Give me some thoughts.

If your going to spend the money to port and since your jugs will be off do a topend rebuild at the same time. Its not much more money wise really. Ecspecially if you use us site sponsors for your work. Hit uo Kevin at herr Juggs or Jeff at fast. They can take care of your porting needs and port to your riding style. You can also get all your topend parts from them od me and do the work your self. Its simple. Also if you plan on adding any power to your motor like the porting will do haveing your crank trued and welded is a must. the time it take to take it out and the small fee it will cost to have it done is a hell of alot cheaper than having it split on your brand new rebuilt and ported motor. Its a huge investment. Think smart when you start modding for more power.

Theres many other mods you can do first also before porting. Advance timing, reeds, carbs, k&n filters, pipes.coolhead, ignition.

Build as you can but trust me on this one "dont take short cuts" it will cost you 3x or more if something goes wrong or you lose a crank. Just spend the money and do it right the first time. good luck dude.

If your cylinder walls are not scored ,pistons look good,and as long as the guy that ports it doesn't nick them you shouldn't need anymore than a light hone, a set of rings, and the gaskets that you'll have to get anyway. I guess what im trying to say is , if it needs a top end it's going to need it weather you get it ported or not and as long as it's apart you might as well through a set of rings at it.

Lost my internet connection and was too late...Yeah what alf says.

Theres many other mods you can do first also before porting. Advance timing, reeds, carbs, k&n filters, pipes.coolhead, ignition.

The thing is he could spend his tax return doing all the little bolt on mods or he can port his cylinders. Porting will be a huge step in power compaired to doing all the bolt ons.

If I had a tight budget my mods would go in this order. Pipes, Porting (trued and weld crank), Shaved Stock Head.Build the engine solid first, the other stuff bolts on easly later down the road. Pluse it would be a real sleeper.