Anyone had there throttle get stuck wide open while riding?

jon321

Yup i think most have been there more times than we would like.

This has happened to me a few times, if your in the sand, dirt gravel etc Its alittle bit more forgiving and you will have some time to react.

It has also happened to me in the street after i washed the bike, It was quite cold out, after i washed the bike i decided to take it for a quick ride to get all the water off. Boy was this a bad idea banghead

As soon as i click from 2nd to 3rd the throttle stuck wide open, had ZERO time to react, was on my ass before i knew it, bike was scraping the wheelie bar for a good 20ft and smacked the front of a mini van on a wheelie.

Dented the hood, cracked bumper and headlight on the van.

My bike fell on its side and somehow all that happen was the upper a-arms bent. Good thing for a warranty.

Best part is that all the neighbors came out except for the owners of the van, we rang the door bell for 3 days straight and left a note to have it fixed and give me the bill. I was never contacted or anything, not a week later they fixed the headlight and left everything else as is. :whoa::whoa:

Throttle getting stuck is some scary shit, have to make sure you keep your carbs and slides clean and throttle cable greased up. :cheers:

Had the throttle stick twice to me on 2 different bikes. Same thing happened on both of them. The guide dowel in the carb came loose and held the slide wide open. When it happened on my bike, I JB welded it. At least my kill switch worked.

WTF is a guide dowel? Are you talking about the needle jet the goes through the slide???

It's been like 4 years or more since I have looked at the inside of stock carbs so I am trying to picture what your talking about. Don't they just have a little notch cut into the slide and a "nipple" at the top of the body that keeps them from turning? I can't think of anything that needs to be JB Welded to keep the slides from turning.

I just had this happen to me two nights ago. Was out riding in the snow and was actually racing a nice track on the side of a big snow hill. I parked the quads and came out half hour later to ride again and when I kicked the shee over it revved wide open so I hit the kill switch and tried again and same thing did this three times total and got pissed and loaded the quads up and went home. Checked the carbs out last night after it sat in my heated garage and it looked fine and it started right up and ran fine.

I am hoping it was just some sort of grit or some snow/ice crystals that caused the slides to stick open. Is there some sort of lubricant for the inside of the carb or would that not be good?

Also is the throttle cable supposed to be able to to come out of the top of the carbs?