Alky Carb Maintance?

KaosBanshee44

What does everyone do with the maintance on there alky carbs as far as taking the oversized bowls off and cleaning the inside out? Is it neccesary even if your purging the bike out each time or do you make a habit of checking it every so often.

Just curious :shrugani:

When I got back from deployment it took my carbs all the way apart and cleaned them with a small wire brush and carb cleaner. I popped out the floats and needles and removed all the jets and cleaned all the ports really well.

Not sure if they needed it or not, but I figured after nearly a year of sitting it wouldn't hurt.

Sounds good that's what i've been doin i've probably purged a little to much each time cause it worries me the bike barely runs since the plugs are almost shot after i get done purging. That way i know everything is purged out and ready to be kept in the garage for a long period of time.

I am at the other end of the spectrum.......... I take my carbs apart and clean them after every weekend of racing......................... It takes about 15 minutes and it is just piece of mind that aspect will be fine when I fire it up again.................................

X2..........

For two years I would take them apart after or before the next race and brake clean them.

Last year I got lazy....just purged them real good.

This year, I'm going to get back into cleaning them after every race.

Methanol is nasty and corrosive. If I rode every weekend or close to it...I'd probably just purge still.

But I ride 1-2 a month in the summer time...

Brake clean removes any build up or film inside the carbs, helps the needle and seat seal, etc.