Got a knock

yamaha04

i got a knock in my shee. i will start right from the top. ok well a couple years ago i sent my cylinders to fast and crank to get welded and ported, bored had to ask for them back after a couple months because i was leaving for a dune trip and jeff didn't have time to port them but they got bored and crank got welded. so new i put it all back together and she ran good, but after about a week of riding i heard a bit of a knock. it goes with the rmps but doesn't get any louder. after tearing it down and not finding anything i put it back together and rode it a season. then next winter i tore it back down and the pistons had a little bit of play so i though it was piston slap. so i sent the cylinders to Passions and got them bored with new pistons, put it back together still knock. same one. so i said screw it and rode it the season HARD lol ran great. next i tore it down again on night to check the crank bearings one was a little bad it had a bit of rattle in it when spinning it by hand and also had a ruff spot. so i got a new hotrods from Magic racing. put it in and Still the same knock/ rattle. im sure it in the bottom end now but when i try and locate where its coming from i can iv put a broom stick on the motor and listened but i just can find a specific area. so i rode it Hard again hoping to break whatever it was but have had no luck breaking it. so im tearing it down again and would like to know some things to look for.

did u check the waterpump? thats what mine did for a summer or two till it let go . i would check that soon if it isnt anything you alredy checked :cheers: by the way if its still nockin it aint broke yet :rotflmao: when it stops nockin is when u got a problem lol

Edited by baker

i looked at the water pump im going to repalce it and get a billet one and new bearing to elimenat that problem one thing i did find that i dont think had to do with my knock because like i said i have had it apart many times and never found anything but this time i found this.

IMG_5956.jpg

its # 11 and 10 in the exploded view on this site. looks like it has taken a few runs through the gears. http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=49012&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2004&fveh=1204

I bet that is your problem. How is the idler gear supposed to stay put without a cir clip holding it on? The only thing holding it on is the clutch basket beating the side of it therefore making a knocking sound. people don't realize that those clips are only to be used once and thats it. Just check out to see if the bushing is in good shape and that the gear still has all it's teeth and install a new clip.

I bet that is your problem. How is the idler gear supposed to stay put without a cir clip holding it on? The only thing holding it on is the clutch basket beating the side of it therefore making a knocking sound. people don't realize that those clips are only to be used once and thats it. Just check out to see if the bushing is in good shape and that the gear still has all it's teeth and install a new clip.

lol i did not realize the clips where only supose to be used once. makes sence. but anyway if that my problem it will be and easy fix although i have my douts as i have had it apart and together about 3 different times over the past 2 years with the same knock and know the clip and washer was intact the last time. but never to less its my best option. man i love BHQ someone always has an answer

I think that after 4 times tearing the motor apart, still having the same problem, i would send it to a builder. Sounds like you have covered the basics but there must be something your missing.

Famous quote: "You can go broke saving money"!

I would say that since your kick idler gear clip broke and came off, that a piece of it probably ran through your primary gears- the gear on the clutch basket and the crankshaft. Inspect those gears closely, looking for damaged teeth. Also, look at the kick idler gear teeth and bushing and the gear on the basket that meshes with the kick idler gear- all of this is turning in neutral and could cause a knock. When my clip came off because the idler gear bushing was wore, it damaged my big gear on the basket and put a slight burr on the crank gear. I repaced the basket ( only way to buy the gear) and ran the crank gear because we were at the dunes and I couldn't get one. It knocked slightly for a while until the burr wore down and has been fine since. When my buddies did this, he cracked the outer race on the crank bearing. If the idler gear bushing is wore, you can get a new bushing from FAST to go in your gear if the teeth are good, they are supposed to last longer also.

well heres a video of the idle gear bushing play. if this idler is supose to be tight i think my bushing is F@#$ed. this was taken without the Cir clip and washer but still think there to much play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfk0WBb5BQM

Yeah, there should be very minimal play there.

You can change just the bushing out, or change the whole gear in 2 seconds is what you should do. There real cheep to buy.

If that lets go then it can fuck up your crank seal and also your clutch basket.

For the price, just change it out now.

I change mine every couple years.

[ i found a video on youtube of what the knock sounded like. i should have taken a video of my actual bike before i tore it down but forgot. ok mine sounds like this but not as loud of a rattle.

do you still think its my idler. im going to replace the bushing regard less but anything else to look for?

[ i found a video on youtube of what the knock sounded like. i should have taken a video of my actual bike before i tore it down but forgot. ok mine sounds like this but not as loud of a rattle.

do you still think its my idler. im going to replace the bushing regard less but anything else to look for?

Thats a member here from Germany. Think his name is banshee bandit or something "ED". Every banshee ive ever been around has a slight noise like that. Im pretty sure its just the tranny gears spinning and everything else spinning like the basket and what not. Replace you gear though. I would.